Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nisqually grown virginia plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjames74

Does anyone know if I can get these plants to grow bigger indoors and what I need to do to do this?
The plants are in 4" pots in a float tray, and are about 4" tall with 6 leaves on them.
Should I bump up the lighting? Im using a 60 watt plant light and feeding them maricle grow for tomatoes and water.
Any info would be helpful, these plants look kinda puney compared to the big gem ones growing.
tobacco seedlings.jpg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I don't know anything about indoor growing, but you can probably use the same set-up as the pot growers use. I'd definitely do some reading on the right fertilizer to use. I'm pretty sure Miracle Grow is not the right fertilizer.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I use water soluable fertilzier 20-10-20 in my float beds . I check the water fertilizer every week to see the fertility of the water . I know if my plants turn yellow or light green it is lacking fertilizer in the water .
If it rains alot and I want to slow the plant growth down I just drain the fertilized water and replace with plain water it will slow them down alot . If I need to slow the plant growth way down I cut out all water , the plants will yellow and tuffen up . When I plant yellow plants in the ground they will grow better than tender green plants will .

One thing to remember about plant fertility is that different varietys will need different amounts of fertilizer . 20-10-20 works good with burley plants , But I have to cut the fertilizer back on Broadleaf , flue , ottoman , samsun and Maryland .
On the other hand after I transplant I have to add more Nitrogen to Broadleaf and Maryland than I do for my Burley .
When the plants get bigger they may need mor Nitrogen than they will a baby plants
Too much Nitrogen can cause the plants to grow tall and spindly , fall over or rot off .

Daniel

Banned
My first thought was that some plants are just slow getting started, then they suddenly take off. Having said that I will also add I know for a fact that not giving them enough root pace will cause them to just stop growing. They do not die and they do not wilt or look sick at all. they just don't grow. Same if water is not correct. I keep my starts in a 6 inch pot up to the time they have 6 inch long leaves then they are transplanted to 5 gallon buckets. they keep in growing. IF I keep them in those 6 inch pots for an extra week or two I notice they do slow down in the growth. Tobacco has huge root structure even when it is very small.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Growing on water may be different than growing in a enclosed container . With my float trays the roots will grow out the bottom of the trays .
Here are my plants when they were only alittle bigger than a fifty cent piece .
UYNlv.jpg

L8s5E.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
Growing on water may be different than growing in a enclosed container . With my float trays the roots will grow out the bottom of the trays .
Here are my plants when they were only alittle bigger than a fifty cent piece .
UYNlv.jpg

L8s5E.jpg

Those roots from those float trays put mine to shame from what I remember mine looked like when separating and transplanting from seed bed. What varietys will you be starting next year BigBonner. I woudn't mind trying some of your seedlings before I try to change the method I've been doing and trying to improve on. I hear they ship realy well.

Status
Not open for further replies.