Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Xanthan gum as glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

The pectin in bought was sold as non-acid pectin, so i presume there is pectin with acid.
Could that be the source of your problem ?
I could not detect those bitter flavers with this pectin.

Jan.

I'm curious as to what brand you used? Did you taste just the powder or a mixed solution?

I see your post on Gum Tragacanth. Did you try it?

jekylnz

I have always stuck with tragacanth and arabic...but any veg.fruit.natural no sent. taste.smell based gel will work...its always been tragacanth and arabic traditionally. .if you worry about keeping thing "tradional"maybe to sell etc.
I used pectin in the start..but all the pectin in our supermarkets have citric acid and have caused me mold issues also..so not sure if straight pectin causes mold on its own.
..add nitrogen and sulphuric acid to cellulose and youll have nitroglycerin! Lol

webmost

... all the pectin in our supermarkets have citric acid...

This right here may be the answer. The flavor may vary widely depending on which brand you get. The label on my jar says: "Ingredients: Dextrose, Fruit Pectin, Citric Acid (assists gel)". This jar is made by Ball, made in Canada. Has a strong citrus bitterness. The first batch of pectin I had came in packets; not a jar. No clue what brand or ingredients.

... and have caused me mold issues also..so not sure if straight pectin causes mold on its own....
I never even thought of refrigerating a batch of this stuff. Always just mixed it for the purpose in an open dish, then washed the dish out when done. Would it mold in powder form? Would it mold after drying on the cigar? Far as I know, I may not be doing this right. I may not be keeping it round long enough to set up as gel. Always rather grainy. Never heard how to prepare the stuff.

Gdaddy

I used pectin in the start..but all the pectin in our supermarkets have citric acid and have caused me mold

I agree with webmost. This may be the answer. In Florida we have Publix shopping centers. They only carry pectin that has citric acid and it's really bitter. Is there a non-bitter pectin? I don't know. All I know is what's available to me.

When it was recommended to use pectin I went to the store and got some. Easy breezy. There was never any recommendation to get anything other than plain old pectin. It is the worst advice I was given when I started rolling. If there is another type of pectin then that information should be passed along. So far it has not.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Arguing about taste is like arguing politics or religion. Everyone has their own personal taste. What one person thinks is the best thing they've ever tasted is a shit sandwich to someone else.

If you don't like pectin, don't use it. If pectin doesn't affect the taste of your cigars, you're not wrong for using it.

Regarding which glue commercial producers use...they are accommodating tens of thousands of palates, so they have to use something that is knowingly absolutely neutral in flavor. I spoke with a few of the commercial rollers I stock and 2 of them use pectin, one uses Bermocoll, but doesn't like the "recipe" he's using. It's his opinion that every manufacturer has there own unique recipe of Bermocoll.

Gdaddy

I forgot to mention...

The quantity (if any) of any glue needed to secure the finish end of the wrapper is miniscule (please review the video made by Maks ).

It's miniscule, that's true, but it's the only part of the cigar that goes directly in your mouth so, for this reason, I believe it's pretty important. Even in the video she covers the entire capped end with glue. I'd hazard a guess it's Bermocoll she's using.

moscca

I'm curious as to what brand you used? Did you taste just the powder or a mixed solution?

I see your post on Gum Tragacanth. Did you try it?

Still 5 weeks away from home for work and the gum tragacanth is being shipped right now. Will try it when back home.
The non-acid pectin I bought with leafonly.
Glad I bought also that Bermocoll glue, it is called Bermocoll 320.
You also make trippel caps, so I think you use more glue the others, maybe that is also a reason.

Jan.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Gdaddy,
I have a tiny sample of the glue used by the Cuban lady in rainmax' video. It has a very slight taste, vaguely suggestive of baking soda. I have no idea what it is. It's definitely not pectin.

If you'll PM me with a mailing address, I will send it to you. Perhaps you can identify it. (Or you can PM rainmax directly, and see if he has more that he might send you from Slovenia.)

Bob

SteveSatch

Maybe people should post the places they got their various gums from so people would have a list of resources.

ArizonaDave

Maybe people should post the places they got their various gums from so people would have a list of resources.

There was a post on here where gums were listed, can't remember the name of the thread. Gum arabic needs very little water, and sticky, but a tiny bit has great holding power. I put it in the fridge to keep it thick, and use a small brush. No taste, and I buy mine at a local health food store called "Acacia Fiber", it's a big container, about 14 oz, and the price is $10 to $15. I do add a little flavor to mine, using nutmeg, cinnamon, and some vanilla extract.
I also have the Methyl Cellulose.
Most of these can be found on Amazon. Type in your search box what glue you're looking for?

SteveSatch

I posted two Amazon links a few posts above. I was thinking about buying the Xanthan glue but ordered Arabic since more people use it. I was thinking of a resource for others more than me. Maybe we could end up with one post full of gum resources eventually : )

ArizonaDave

I posted two Amazon links a few posts above. I was thinking about buying the Xanthan glue but ordered Arabic since more people use it. I was thinking of a resource for others more than me. Maybe we could end up with one post full of gum resources eventually : )

That's a great Idea Steve!!! Would love to see a new thread addressing all the potiental gums out there! Go for it!

Gdaddy

Gdaddy,
I have a tiny sample of the glue used by the Cuban lady in rainmax' video. It has a very slight taste, vaguely suggestive of baking soda. I have no idea what it is. It's definitely not pectin.

If you'll PM me with a mailing address, I will send it to you. Perhaps you can identify it. (Or you can PM rainmax directly, and see if he has more that he might send you from Slovenia.)

Bob

Thanks for the offer but I've got enough glue to last a life time. Are you tasting the powder or the mixed gel?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I tasted my Pectin powder last night. It is made by Ball (the Mason Jar manufacturer) I tasted a slight citrus flavor, possibly due to the citric acid in the ingredients. It wasn't a bitter or unpleasant taste, but it definitely had a slight citrus taste, rather than being tasteless. I've never tasted this flavor when smoking my cigars. I tasted the straight powder, rather than the diluted mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.