Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Xanthan gum as glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveSatch

Anyone try this stuff? I've found cellulose glue and Tragacanth gum and they both run about $15 shipped for 2 ounces. The Xanthan gum is the same price but it comes with a pound. I know I won't need a pound, but I would never run out and would be able to give some to any of my friends who might try rolling cigars. The Arabic powder is about $22 for a pound. I know I want to avoid fruit pectin so I need to choose one of these gums.
[h=1][/h]

Gdaddy

Anyone try this stuff? I've found cellulose glue and Tragacanth gum and they both run about $15 shipped for 2 ounces. The Xanthan gum is the same price but it comes with a pound. I know I won't need a pound, but I would never run out and would be able to give some to any of my friends who might try rolling cigars. The Arabic powder is about $22 for a pound. I know I want to avoid fruit pectin so I need to choose one of these gums.

I started using cellulose glue and really like it. A small amount makes a lot of glue. 1 tablespoon of powder mixed with 1/2 cup of water is the ratio to make a 1/2 cup of firm gelatin like glue.

Gdaddy

Not sure. I use it all before it goes bad but it has been in the fridge for a couple of months as it dwindled down without a problem. The key is to mix small amounts so it doesn't go bad. Depends also on how many cigars you roll, I now do 1/4 cup of water with 1/2 tablespoon cellulose. It's fast and easy to mix so it's not a big deal.

SteveSatch

For what reason do you specify fruit pectin to avoid?

Pectin might not be tasteless and it seems like people have had more problems with mold using pectin than with using the various gums

BarG

Founding Member
Pectin might not be tasteless and it seems like people have had more problems with mold using pectin than with using the various gums

I can understand the mold issue for the actual pectin if not refridgerated. I am curious if you have experienced adverse effects on long term cigar storage using fruit pectin. I only ask because that is all I have ever used and I never save my cigars. I smoke them soon after rolling.

SteveSatch

I can understand the mold issue for the actual pectin if not refridgerated. I am curious if you have experienced adverse effects on long term cigar storage using fruit pectin. I only ask because that is all I have ever used and I never save my cigars. I smoke them soon after rolling.
No sir, but I have seen others post about having to toss cigars because of using pectin. I'll find the posts and link them when I have time to search for them

BarG

Founding Member
No sir, but I have seen others post about having to toss cigars because of using pectin. I'll find the posts and link them when I have time to search for them

That would be fantastic if you could. I haven't seen those posts. Not that I doubt you , but prove it with old posts.

SteveSatch

That would be fantastic if you could. I haven't seen those posts. Not that I doubt you , but prove it with old posts.

Post #12 here http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4292-Puro-No-1-!!/page2
says "3) Fruit Pectin, unsweetened-
It's best as a gel, but can be used diluted. The drawbacks to this glue, is that it WILL sour over time. It is a good starter glue. If you want the Cigars to stay in the humidor for a long time, I would suggest one of the first two.
I personally lost 3 pounds of great Cigar tobacco due to this glue going bad, it went rancid in a month or two in my humidor. Had to pull everything out, clean out the humidor, and let dry in the sun."

Post #5 here http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4292-Puro-No-1-!!
says "I didn't much care for pectin. Did you taste it? I ended up re-rolling 50 cigars because of it. Way too bitter for me."

I believe I saw a couple more posts but I'm late for work :)

Gdaddy

I would never advise anyone to use Pectin. I had to re-roll 50 cigars when I first started out. The stuff was SOOO bitter I couldn't live with it. It's the last thing I want to put in a cigar. Does anyone ever taste this stuff?

Why not use what the pros use? They don't use pectin. Cellulose or gum tragacanth would be excellent choice because they are odorless, tasteless and colorless.

Status
Not open for further replies.