Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ideal size for a granite cutting board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveSatch

I'm going to talk to a granite gut about getting a cutting board. What size should I be asking for? I've never rolled cigars before. 2'x3'? 3'x3'?

Gdaddy

I use one 22" wide x 15" deep and it's plenty big enough. At 1" thick it's plenty heavy and doesn't move at all. If you go to a granite counter fabricator they have lots of stuff to choose from being thrown out in the dumpster in this size. I gave the guy a few bucks to cut it to size and smooth the edges.

garryricketson

The only thing is, with granite, it will really dull a knife, steel will not scratch it, only diamond to cut it. I work with it, it is my favorite material, but for a cutting board, I am no so sure how that will work out.

Gdaddy

Pizza cutter here also. With a stainless steel blade it doesn't take much pressure to cut the leaf. I've experienced no dulling of the blade. Maybe because it rolls instead of sliding?

ArizonaDave

Pizza cutter here also. With a stainless steel blade it doesn't take much pressure to cut the leaf. I've experienced no dulling of the blade. Maybe because it rolls instead of sliding?

I might have to try that again......been using a curved skinning knife. I just eat too much pizza to use one of my Pizza cutters, LOL! I'll give it another try.

Bruck

Does a pizza cutter need to be sharpened? Always wondered.......

Depends... My round rolling one didn't, but my fixed blade one did. It was pretty dull, more like a cheese cutter, when I bought it, but I sharpened it up pretty good with a whetstone. I usually sharpen it up before each use now. It's pretty much razor sharp now; I could use it to decapitate a zombie if needed :)

Bruck

I'm going to talk to a granite gut about getting a cutting board. What size should I be asking for? I've never rolled cigars before. 2'x3'? 3'x3'?

I have an 18x30" plastic one, and I could roll cigars on it while a midget tap danced on the other half, and we wouldn't get in each others' way :)

ArizonaDave

I wasn't going to lug that big 'ol slab out of the garage in triple digit temps, but I saw a pack of Ceramic tile left over from when they did our floor. Needless to say, an 18" X 18" was plenty big enough to stretch out 2 or 3 giant leaves from Don's Habana 2000, and Aleman Seco Banda.

Yes, it stuck just fine wet, and was able to get a real tight roll on both binder and wrapper. The finished product looks much much better now, thanks Gdaddy for the suggestion!!!

Gdaddy

I wasn't going to lug that big 'ol slab out of the garage in triple digit temps, but I saw a pack of Ceramic tile left over from when they did our floor. Needless to say, an 18" X 18" was plenty big enough to stretch out 2 or 3 giant leaves from Don's Habana 2000, and Aleman Seco Banda.

Yes, it stuck just fine wet, and was able to get a real tight roll on both binder and wrapper. The finished product looks much much better now, thanks Gdaddy for the suggestion!!!

The money you saved can go towards more tobacco!

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I was using a 10x12x2 butcher block with a plain old bucher knife till My Wife seen it. She made Me give it back. Now I use a 2'x2' 14 guage 413 stainless steel plate that was left over from an HHO build. for cutting leaf, I use the pizza cutter. The leaf sticks where You put it but, it's hard to pick up the tip to start. Now for granite or marble, I think the pizza wheel would be the way to go. Not that it counts, another trick I use, do to- I have no way to cut the ends of the stick when done. So I find a bottle that fits the end where it needs the cut. Stick it in and slice it off square with a carpet blade. I think the man made (faux) marble would work well too. Mad-

Bruck

I was using a 10x12x2 butcher block with a plain old bucher knife till My Wife seen it. She made Me give it back. Now I use a 2'x2' 14 guage 413 stainless steel plate that was left over from an HHO build. for cutting leaf, I use the pizza cutter. The leaf sticks where You put it but, it's hard to pick up the tip to start. Now for granite or marble, I think the pizza wheel would be the way to go. Not that it counts, another trick I use, do to- I have no way to cut the ends of the stick when done. So I find a bottle that fits the end where it needs the cut. Stick it in and slice it off square with a carpet blade. I think the man made (faux) marble would work well too. Mad-

Stainless is great for wrapping - I have a little sheet of it, abt 9"x12", but I use a plastic cutting board for the rest of the operation.

alexlai

We have a 12'' granite cutting board. We got it when we re-did our kitchen 2 years back. When our countetops truck arrived, a man stepped out of truck with a 12'' granite rounded piece and told us that this is our cutting board.

Status
Not open for further replies.