Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Cigar Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

Thanks Marc. Interesting show.

Will be interesting to see what he brings back from Cuba. I can't wait to hear the reviews. "Bring cash and bring shoes"... lol

"Most Cuban cigars have a tight draw." You can only bring back $100 worth of cigars. There is a fee to leave Cuba.

MarcL

... that gives me that feeling when I'm about to get pick pocketed ...

the funny part is that they told him to bring pants.

there supposed to smoke them on the 14th.

webmost

Buddy's wife just returned from Cuba. Brought me this today:
cohibafivepack.jpg

Que Viva la Revolucion!

Gdaddy

IMO this is the best show yet. Thanks Marcl !

This is certainly an eye opening review of the Cuban cigar industry. Essentially describing the cigar industry as being government controlled right from the farm. Growers have no idea where their tobacco goes. It sounds like they do minimal effort on the care of the plants in the field. In comparison, Nicaragua and Dominican grow fields are maintained at a very high level.

He says they just roll the cigars and THEN they determine what brand box they should go in by color only. No predetermined blending.

"Under filled and over humidified."

Partagas factory was a filthy mess. They suck on the end of the cigar to draw test it!!

Since everyone gets paid the same minimal wage there is no incentive to try any harder to produce a better product.

Another one of the myths that Cuban cigars are the best. I'm not in a hurry to try any 'Cuban government' made cigars when there are countries producing a superior product.

MarcL

Maybe if we go down there with a couple of triple jet lighters, we would be asked to be President too.

They just want to make cigars for Norteamericanos. And be able to make more money.

If anti tobacco gets any worse, Cuba will be the only place to smoke. They smoke anywhere. We all will be moving there just to able to smoke.
When they get here and say, "what I can't smoke here?!! I'm going back to Cuba."

HIM

I have a hard time believing this guy. Your credibility in my book goes out the window when your caught selling fakes. Plus I know people that go to Cuba multiple times a year and they seem to have a different story. Being that I know these people personally I trust their word.
Now I don't think things are perfect or that they couldn't be done better, because they could and more funding would do wonders, but I think this report is making things out to be much worse than they are. I honestly feel he may even have simple misunderstood observations leading him to these conclusions. Ultimately in the end it is what it is, if you don't like Cubans or can't taste the difference don't smoke them and light up whatever suites your tastes. The constant NC/CC bashing and pissing contest is just pointless. A good cigar is a good cigar regardless where it comes from.

ChinaVoodoo

Taste and consistency are two different things. Based purely on taste, I would say that I greatly appreciate Cubans. However, consistency of good burn and draw is higher on NC, and the standard deviation of cigar weight is greater with Cubans. Obviously, brands and lines within brands, and years, all have their variation, and many are more consistent than others. I smoke and value both. These are just observations.

ArizonaDave

I have a hard time believing this guy. Your credibility in my book goes out the window when your caught selling fakes. The constant NC/CC bashing and pissing contest is just pointless. A good cigar is a good cigar regardless where it comes from.

Hmmm, I'll stick with rolling my own and growing my own, with mostly WLT tobacco. I'm finding it's better to time purchases when new leaf comes in, rather than ordering when it's too late.

ChinaVoodoo

Hmmm, I'll stick with rolling my own and growing my own, with mostly WLT tobacco. I'm finding it's better to time purchases when new leaf comes in, rather than ordering when it's too late.

I just got a professional cigar mold in the mail with some wrapper leaf from WLT, so I'm stoked about filling my humidor with my own rolls. (I received a FTT hat, too)

MarcL

I have a hard time believing this guy. Your credibility in my book goes out the window when your caught selling fakes. Plus I know people that go to Cuba multiple times a year and they seem to have a different story. Being that I know these people personally I trust their word.
Now I don't think things are perfect or that they couldn't be done better, because they could and more funding would do wonders, but I think this report is making things out to be much worse than they are. I honestly feel he may even have simple misunderstood observations leading him to these conclusions. Ultimately in the end it is what it is, if you don't like Cubans or can't taste the difference don't smoke them and light up whatever suites your tastes. The constant NC/CC bashing and pissing contest is just pointless. A good cigar is a good cigar regardless where it comes from.

I think I missed something. If you don't mind, who is "this guy" .. and what was "caught selling fakes" that you are referencing.

HIM

The guy thats saying he went to Cuba and is saying all this stuff. His company, 2 Guys, used to sell a retail exclusive Don Pepin cigar called the Firecracker. At some point they cut ties with Pepin and started having them made by Victor Sinclair but marketed the cigars like they were the same DPG Firecrackers. It wasn't until they duped a bunch of people and had pissed off customers calling with complaints they made it clear what they were.

Heres the email they sent out advertising the cigars.

OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED...THE FIRECRACKER
First I'm going to whine a little. The factory said I was "loco" (a.k.a. crazy) when we came up with this idea and then ripped us off. Others followed and then others again, hell - we even ripped ourselves off with with the Tatuaje M80. Now another cigar brand rip us off just the other day. Doesn't any of these "quote" cigar guru's has any of their own creativity? It's the most sincere sense of flattery they tell me. For some reason I don't feel flattered, I just fell ripped off. OK - I feel better - I vented, so lets back to "The Firecracker".

Its a box of 25 cigars for just $99 but it gets better. The cigars are full flavored smokes. Although small in size, they burn slow.

This year we made a very limited amounts of a Maduro version we have been testing and wrapped them up in packs just like a pack of firecrackers and called them "Black Bombs".

Now these black beauties are even more special. Not only are they super limited, very cool looking and great tasting - they are FREE! We will include a pack of Black Bombs FREE with every box of Firecrackers while supplies last. BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE!

MarcL

That is what I thought you meant. I remember that the Firecracker and CigarBar histories as quite the opposite. but, I get the pointlessness.

MarcL

So maybe a pre-game show today. Hopefully.

[h=1]You've Got Mail - The Cuban Fallout[/h]
Following the Shocking Conclusion of David's trip to Cuba the mail call was working overtime. The amount of letters we received were on an epic level. Today we go through some of those emails in a Rapid Fire Highlight segment.

We are also joined by Jarrid Trudeau from Kristoff Cigars where we talk a little about Kristoff, and play a little Total Recall with Jarrid who allegedly has one of those memories where he can recall anything.

In hour number two we will discuss Dave's latest experience as a blind taste tester in Cigar Journal as well as fill you in on the drone that delivers cigars.

Plus you won't want to miss the scoop on the cigar we smoke in our number two and find out how you can save over $500 off the original MSRP..

buck

I listen to the shows but couldn't believe what he was saying about Cuban cigars in this particular episode. I had my doubts about what he was saying when he described the factory, no blends ? no brands ? All taste the same, testing draw by mouth ? I went out searching for other comments about this broadcast and found this guy which seems to make lots of sense. I have no bias I smoke both NC and non NC, like both.

There are 4 other parts but this is his conclusion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofnfzm1jC_M

MarcL

I'm wandering if you missed the point that David Garofalo is just some guy that called it as he saw it at the time. It seems most have. The Dr. Joe show is the most polar opposite to Dave as far as taking himself seriously. I'm surprised it took as long as it did for Joe to get tipped off on it. I am not surprised about the holes in Joe's commentary though. Maybe different if he watched it some?

Status
Not open for further replies.