Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar Glue

MarcL

So last week I got some filler and there was some goodies in there.
A zip-lock with some powder in it. (Guar Gum) and, a little squeeze bottle. "rolling glue"

So first, the glue. It was thinner then paste more like thick syrup.
It was a little bit sweet and felt more tacky than it ended up being. I guess I'd say it was more of a smearing sticky then a tacky hold to it but, it works well.
I'm constantly drinking coffee with sugar so, it's probably sweeter then what I get out of it.

I mixed the guar powder like I do my Tragacanth and, it was thicker so, I thinned it a little to the consistency of my Tragacanth and it had more hold I think. I like It a lot. Maybe I'll get some... I dunno I've had this Tragacanth for ever and it works.
I do wonder about that Bermocoll 320 though.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Smoking another one of these Nat Shermans which I scored for thre Johnny Sotweedseed project. Now that I've been schooled, I am convinced these are glued with pectin. I can taste the citrus tang around the cap.

That is what I am sending on the roll on the 8th. Not- Mad Guess what it is when You fire them up to see. LOL . Tapioca.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I was surprised to discover these little packets of Xanthan Gum at Walmart, in the aisle with flour and breading mixes. It set me back 48 cents. It's about 1 tablespoon of powder.

Garden20140622_1250_xanthanGum_packet_300.jpg

http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/gluten-free/gluten-free-xanthan-gum-71518-02175-021_group

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The "Gluten Free" label is amusing. No xanthan gum has gluten. It's like "Fat Free" distilled water.

The natural gluten in wheat flour is what allows gas bubbles to become trapped in rising dough, allowing it to bake into fluffy bread. Without gluten, you end up with dense, unpalatable bread. So any bakery recipes using various gluten-free flours requires something else to replace the role of gluten. So I suppose the "Gluten Free" label on the xanthan gum is as symbolic as the circled "'U' Parve" in the lower right corner, indicating that it has been approved as kosher by the Union of Orthodox Rabbis (meaning that it is certified as dairy-free, meat-free and extraneous stuff-free).

Bob

Gdaddy

I was surprised to discover these little packets of Xanthan Gum at Walmart, in the aisle with flour and breading mixes. It set me back 48 cents. It's about 1 tablespoon of powder.

Garden20140622_1250_xanthanGum_packet_300.jpg

http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/gluten-free/gluten-free-xanthan-gum-71518-02175-021_group

Bob

I went to the flour isle and went back and forth twice and no xanthan gum. Third time I went very slowly and then bingo there it was. A tiny little box sitting at the end of the bread crumbs. Easy to miss and much smaller than imagined. $.48 it was.

Have any mixing suggestions?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Have any mixing suggestions?
I've never used it, and seldom use any cigar glue. I guess I would just start out with a few drops of water in a tsp. of it (1/3 of the packet), and go from there. Aim for a consistency thicker than molasses.

Bob

CT Tobaccoman

Got some glue from a mail order leaf website. It is fruit pectin. Supposed to mix it with 2 parts water and microwave it for a few seconds until pasty. And keep leftover in the fridge because it is organic and will go sour. Works fine, but maybe flour and water is good too. If you have really nice wrapper and binder with small veins you can do without any glue, especially if you make smaller cigars. But I'm a beginner and don't worry about how ugly my cigars are. Nobody sees them but me.

webmost

A week ago, I whipped up some of that cellulose glue that I scored for four bucks off Amazon. Only took the tiniest amount of powder to do the trick. Keeping it in the fridge. Used it first time this last weekend. Just a dab'll do ya. Smoke one last night. Seems to work great. No taste that I can tell. Claims to be kiddie art paste; but makes a nice clear cellulose cigar glue.

Bearswatter reports a whole crapload of more leaves arrived today. Looking forward to more garage time, rolling up the uppowoc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Tell Bearswatter hey. I used the pectin on the webmost roll. Not only that, the contender is going to knuks. My bad. (it was on the table after I had it sent) LOL I wanted to use the tapioca, but didn't think it was fair. (like a mold) If You can tell which of the five brouthers grim have the tapioca or the wall past would be fun? Knucks will have the contender. The tapioca is on three of the seven sent. Mad-

webmost

Tell Bearswatter hey. I used the pectin on the webmost roll. Not only that, the contender is going to knuks. My bad. (it was on the table after I had it sent) LOL I wanted to use the tapioca, but didn't think it was fair. (like a mold) If You can tell which of the five brouthers grim have the tapioca or the wall past would be fun? Knucks will have the contender. The tapioca is on three of the seven sent. Mad-

Are you telling me you omitted to send your best example? Send it. There's still time. USPS 2-day will have it here by Tuesday.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Sorry I saved it for knucks. I have pics of the ones that were fiered up. I love to roll buy hand, and the one I have from You is a 10. Can,t fire it up untill this Guy Linda helped Me with showes His face! Long story.. I looked at it very well- the feel is great and smell perfect. Has a Maduro hint. On the side, the leaf is folded over. (got the glue) Great stick buddy! I am by far a Torcedor- Now what I did not tell You was the rolls I sent. What is in them for You? Some with no wrapper and some with.( the five brouthers grim) Now as a pipe and cig. Man guess? Mad - Greg said He would light them up with You.

Gdaddy

A week ago, I whipped up some of that cellulose glue that I scored for four bucks off Amazon. Only took the tiniest amount of powder to do the trick. Keeping it in the fridge. Used it first time this last weekend. Just a dab'll do ya. Smoke one last night. Seems to work great. No taste that I can tell. Claims to be kiddie art paste; but makes a nice clear cellulose cigar glue.

Bearswatter reports a whole crapload of more leaves arrived today. Looking forward to more garage time, rolling up the uppowoc.

Another great glue is the Xanthan gum Bob mentioned. I got it at Walmart for $.89 for a packet in the flour isle. Readily available and very inexpensive. The results are excellent so far. I may have found my favorite!! Thanks Bob!

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Any thing that , with a sticky concistency between the pingers. Feel the sticky . And tast to see if it is what You want. (the tast on the tip of the finger) Not to wet. Mad-

Gdaddy

What consistency do you mix it to? Thick like a paste, our more like a syrup ?

I mixed it pretty thick. I figure if I don't like it thick then I could thin it out. So far thick is nice. It seems more like glue than the cellulose. It's very slippery and hard to get off my fingers.

This is what they use to make wall paper paste.

Gdaddy

Huh! Definitely cheap enough to try!

Be aware it can be a little difficult to find. I went up and down the flour isle several times before I saw it. It's in a small box with little red packets in it nestled in between much larger items. Seek and ye shall find.