Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Putt Cigars

Hello,
I’m new to the site and from Phoenix, AZ. This is my first year trying to grow tobacco& I’m trying in Phoenix. I don’tknow how much you know about Phoenix - We don’t use the same SUN as the rest ofthe country. Our SUN comes from a Lend-Leasearrangement with Hades. If anyone hasexperience with my growing conditions, I would be please to learn fromyou. Thanks for allowing me aboard.

webmost

Huh. Fooled me. I never thought you grew tobacco in Phoenix I figured that in Phoenix, your cigars just rose from the ashes.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Hello,
I’m new to the site and from Phoenix, AZ. This is my first year trying to grow tobacco& I’m trying in Phoenix. I don’tknow how much you know about Phoenix - We don’t use the same SUN as the rest ofthe country. Our SUN comes from a Lend-Leasearrangement with Hades. If anyone hasexperience with my growing conditions, I would be please to learn fromyou. Thanks for allowing me aboard.
Arizona Dave has some there in Hades. And I have some here in the dead-sert also.

ArizonaDave

Hello,
Welcome! Still experimentin'~!

Old Putt Cigars

Well, I think I’ve learned a couple of things about desert tobacco so far.

I’m growing in 5 Gal. pails. Don’t use Home Depot “Homer Buckets”, Ibought 10 and the sun shines right through them. I used Lowes for the next 10, they’re much thicker (same price) & more opaque. I finally painted them all.

I have had yellowing problems from all plants including very young ones. Jobe’s tomato spikes (2 per)seem to help that.

I used potting soil in the buckets & I don’t think that was wise, but I would like to save the soil for additional growing’s. I think I would need to add something to geta looser/sandier loam. Plants are small even at 4 months & blooming.

African Red & Black Sea Turkish seem to thrive best inthe pails & soil I have but I’ve blundered so much – over watering the first batch of seedlings and then using them for one, it’s hard to tell whatreally works best. I’ll try to post some pic’s.

I’m thinking of a fall planting here in AZ. Mid-June seeding & Mid-August transplant to pails outside.

Any ideas on the soil mix? “Sand” maybe - or something else?

Anyone try a winter crop in the desert?

You See? I’m prettyinformation Needy.

5 Mo. A Small.jpg
5 Mo. B Small.jpg5 Mo. C Small.jpg5 Mo. D Small.jpg5 Mo. F Small.jpg

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Looks like You are on key. The buckets need to drain. I have plain old pickle buckets for Mine. Now to set them up for this type of heat, I posted how on My grow blog page 17 # 106. Be carefull around the clorine. Mad-

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I love the photos, especially those with tobacco growing in front of the Saguaros, and behind the pool. No mistaking what state you're in.

Bucket growing is always a challenge. Perhaps a mix of 1/3 peat, and 2/3 Miracle-Gro potting soil would do well. Drill holes in the bottom of the bucket. Fill it entirely with the soil mix. Then you can water as needed, without fear of overwatering. (Adding the traditional gravel to the bottom will raise the perched water table, and decrease the volume of soil available for root growth.) While tobacco roots tend not to run deep, in a bucket-grown plant, the finer roots will fill every available nook, all the way down to the perched water table.

Growing tobacco in a Sonoran environment can be trying. But I think setting up curing arrangements may be more so, due to the low humidity.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
A drip pan for the pots is working out well for me. Overflow goes into the drip pan and will be wicked up by the soil later. The pans conserve water.

Status
Not open for further replies.