Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Curing burley question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDinosaurWesH

Yes, well, Kirkland Washington is hardly a major tobacco growing region. Since it is across the lake from Seattle, I'm guessing it's a major tobacco shunning region.

Wes H.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I think KY 17 would do fine, so long as you are not growing in a common tobacco growing region. TN 86 and TN 90 are so widely grown because of their multiple disease resistance traits.

If WLT doesn't have them, I know that BigBonner usually grows TN 86 or TN 90 by the acre.

Bob

TN 90 became popular when blue mold was bad . Leaves stood up right allowing more air and sunshine down tobacco rows helping to prevent blue mold .It is black shank resistant . A lot of Other varieties spread across the rows trapping moisture that feed blue mold .
I like growing HB4488 ( Black shank resistant ) and 14XL8 . Ky 14 X L8 is not black shank resistant but if you don't have a black shank problem then you can grow all varieties of tobacco .
Tn 86 , KY 209 , KY 206 , Ky 204 These are all good to grow .

All modern tobacco has to be a Low Converter (LC) or big tobacco won't buy your crop .

I grow TN 90 mainly because that is what people want .

burge

TN 90 became popular when blue mold was bad . Leaves stood up right allowing more air and sunshine down tobacco rows helping to prevent blue mold .It is black shank resistant . A lot of Other varieties spread across the rows trapping moisture that feed blue mold .
I like growing HB4488 ( Black shank resistant ) and 14XL8 . Ky 14 X L8 is not black shank resistant but if you don't have a black shank problem then you can grow all varieties of tobacco .
Tn 86 , KY 209 , KY 206 , Ky 204 These are all good to grow
All modern tobacco has to be a Low Converter (LC) or big tobacco won't buy your crop .

I grow TN 90 mainly because that is what people want .

I would order some from Big. See what varieties are out there and then make a decision to grow what you like. I have no access to grow anything so when there is a sale or something I stock up. I know people that have tried to grow tobacco and its okay but to get properly aged tobacco for me is the way I would go.. If I had a a chance to grow I would try it.

mwaller

I see a few other interesting varietals on Skychaser's site:
Burley 21
Moldovan 456
Any first-hand experience with these?

Gavroche

I see a few other interesting varietals on Skychaser's site:
Burley 21
Moldovan 456
Any first-hand experience with these?

On the site of Skychaser, it would be better to indicate the not interesting varieties that would be faster and much less long! Lol

Sur le site de Skychaser, il vaudrait mieux indiquer les variétés pas intéressantes... ça serait plus rapide et beaucoup moins long ! lol

mwaller

True! Unfortunately, I do not have infinite space and time to grow them all!

On the site of Skychaser, it would be better to indicate the not interesting varieties that would be faster and much less long! Lol

Sur le site de Skychaser, il vaudrait mieux indiquer les variétés pas intéressantes... ça serait plus rapide et beaucoup moins long ! lol

Alpine

I grew Moldovan 456 last year but managed to save only 2 seedlings. Of the two one had some kind of disease and I pulled it at half season. The other one did very well, and was very easy to cure, like Symbol4. I didn't save seeds because I prefer to have no less than 10 plants to choose from, I select the truest to type, less attacked by pests or diseases and, if at all possible, the first to flower and with less suckers. The one I had didn't suckered at all. I'll try to grow it again in 2018, it seemed very promising. As a side note, Polygon's web site lists Symbol4 as a burley, and Moldovan 456 as light air cured. I have no idea of the Moldovan taste, but S4 is definitely more "burleysh" than any other bright leaf I've grown.

pier

mwaller

I grew Moldovan 456 last year but managed to save only 2 seedlings. Of the two one had some kind of disease and I pulled it at half season. The other one did very well, and was very easy to cure, like Symbol4. I didn't save seeds because I prefer to have no less than 10 plants to choose from, I select the truest to type, less attacked by pests or diseases and, if at all possible, the first to flower and with less suckers. The one I had didn't suckered at all. I'll try to grow it again in 2018, it seemed very promising. As a side note, Polygon's web site lists Symbol4 as a burley, and Moldovan 456 as light air cured. I have no idea of the Moldovan taste, but S4 is definitely more "burleysh" than any other bright leaf I've grown.

pier

Thanks for the detailed comments! Can you tell me more about the flavor and strength of Symbol 4?

Gavroche

S4 a burley? I am very surprised no taste of dried fruits no oleaginous taste. He(it) is very good and very fine, it is not a strong tobacco but I find him(it) delicate. I smoke the sheets(leaves) of bottom(stocking) at the moment then I cannot say it any more

le S4 un burley ?... je suis très étonné... pas de gout de fruits secs... pas de gout oléagineux. il est très bon et très fin, ce n'est pas un tabac fort mais je le trouve délicat. je fume les feuilles du bas pour l'instant alors je ne peux en dire plus

ChinaVoodoo

pier

Light air cured is a more general term than burley, but burley is light air cured. I suspect polygon's nomenclature to be the result of acquiring seeds from different suppliers, so either way, Moldovan is a burley. Some light air cured tobaccos are Maryland type, but nobody has suggested that of the Moldovan. Regarding symbol 4, though, I'm still confused. Is sobolchskii flue cured or a burley?. S4 is really light as an air cured. Lighter than flue cured varieties that have been air cured.

Alpine

I’m pretty sure sobolchskii is a burley. A family of burley to be exact like the TNxx or KYxxx families. S4 seems to be a cross between a burley and a bright leaf. We should ask Polygon 55 since S4, Sobolchskii and Moldovan all came to Skychaser from him. Maybe the Eastern European countries have a different classification for the various baccy groups , who knows?

pier

ChinaVoodoo

Delhi 76 was developed by exposing Delhi 34 to gamma rays, then selecting mutants with desirable traits. Fyi.

I tend to agree with you on the nomenclature, but NW says sobolchskii 193 is flue cured. It could be like VA 509 which is a burley from Virginia, right, and not a "Virginia". I wouldn't exclude the possibility that the only sure thing about an Eastern European name is that it tells you where it's from.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I tend to agree with you on the nomenclature, but NW says sobolchskii 193 is flue cured. It could be like VA 509 which is a burley from Virginia, right, and not a "Virginia". I wouldn't exclude the possibility that the only sure thing about an Eastern European name is that it tells you where it's from.
-So true, but I also expect a bit different things with a Virginia and a Kentucky variant. So, even if you have a score, you feel a difference (at least for the different types I cultivated).

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
You can stand with one foot in Virginia, and the other in Kentucky.Bob
You can stand one foot in Norway the other in Finland and have a hand in Sweden. The other hand, will you need when you hunt mosquitoes in the summer time (so you should better try this in winter)..-know what you mean Bob but I think you are able to feel difference between for example KY:17 and TN:90..

ChinaVoodoo

There is a place on this side of the pond where two people in a skiff can be completely in different countries--one in France, and one in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.