Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wilted leaf problem... any ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustycase

This is a pic of one strain with an obviously wilted leaf. There's another on the other side of the plant.

w1n.jpg

I have two or three other baccy plants, in different locations, and different strains, that exhibit the same situation.

..and they seem to recover...

sometimes I have given them a bath, with straight water, in the evening, and sometimes not...

We got too many cats in the neighborhood, and also got a male dog, with others running around ???

Think it could be cat spray?

Tnx
rc

DGBAMA

i had a couple plants with single leaf wilt like that last year. Careful looking found a small "pinhole" in the main stem below the leaf attachment, some small insect had bored into the stalk.

rustycase

ok, tnx!

I guess tomorrow morn I will inspect them carefully for a bore-hole.

I had some pretty large holes bored into stalks of some full sized baccy plants a few years back. Maybe it's that critter again???

It's very dry here, and no water has been on these leaves, mid day.

I'll go check images.
Tnx!
rc

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I have bugs that come out around July or august that do that. Generally the bug is right under that leaf or not far away.

rustycase

I spent some time inspecting them fairly closely, this morning.
No evidence of any bore-hole in the stalk, though I have had a few serious ones in past years. (It never seemed to harm the plant!)

Here's the burley strain down in the lowest part of my patch.
w3nl.jpg

It's got 3 wilted leaves on it.

Here's them!
w35nt.jpg
w36nb.jpg
Top and underside.
Other than the brown spotting on 2 of 'em, all I see is some blackening of the leaf, and they are very limp.

Here's a red leaf strain growing up top, against the neighbor fence.
w32nt.jpg
Different strain, and different growing conditions.
...same cats...
...same hoppers...
and the dog.
This wilted leaf did have some chew marks from a hopper, and an adjoining leaf has those brown spots.
Maybe cat spray, or water-spot scald, as DS had mentioned. It WAS down low, and had been splashed, but not during mid-day.
w33ns.jpg
I split the stem lengthwise through the center of the bite-mark and it does not show any real damage.
There's hopper chews showing on the lamina of the leaf, though... That's not the prob I'm concerned with...

Appreciate any input, Very much!
rc

..now I'll see if multi u/l's will fly!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Don't ever water plants during the day. They wilt during the day but if they don't perk back up a few hours after sunset water the root ball

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Maybe you are more overcast? My stuff burns if I water during the day. That was Florida weather though, I never water since coming to VT.

forumdotabaco

Why not? I water all day long. Got to if I want to grow anything. I have 4 sprinklers running now and am just heading out to turn on more. We sure could use some rain here.

any idea how much water per plant is being distributed ?

rustycase

Tnx knuck, I'll check those out...

Yes smokes, Mine will scald if I sprayed em when hot.
I'm hand watering now, but the drippers will be operational shortly.
Gosh, Sky!!! You are sprinkling your crop??? Wow! That's gotta be a lot of water!!!
..I'm using abt 2 liters per plant/day, and it ain't hot YET!
I water in the morning to deprive the earwigs of easy water at night... keep 'em heading into my traps.

Here's the third of my plants with the wilt damage. and an adjoining leaf shows brown spot damage that resembles scald, but it's pretty high on an established plant and I'm sure I haven't accidentally splashed that high.. ever!
topxx.jpg
Not any observable damage to the leaf, or the main stalk that could have caused this wilt... and this one is 3 or 4 plants down the row from the other.

I'll go look at the links...
Tnx!
rc

rustycase

I looked at some of the links... not all of them... it's horrible!
Gosh! Farms were lost, banks failed... some of the wilt epidemics were a nightmare!

I do NOT think I have the Granville wilt.
Symptoms do not match up with the description.
Next I will look at the 'southern bacterial wilt... when I can handle all that agony! gosh! what a nightmare some of the pics are!!!

With a good season, this year, and lady luck in the curing stage, it's possible I could forego growing baccy for 1 year and rely upon the boxes in storage.
Yet giving up solanaceae completely would not fly very well around here! I'd need to be very creative!

Any more thoughts on this problem???

Thank you,
rc

Status
Not open for further replies.