Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kavala

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Most of us have heard of Kavala before. I don't know if anybody grew it here before, except FmGrowit.
I tried to germinate it in different batches and after a long wait of germination I had only two seedlings, one of them is an angel now. A single precious seedling deserves more care so it's growing in a pot. Yes, a small pot (approx. 5" width and 5" depth) but plant is growing and looking ok.
It's not flowered yet but bud formation is visible.

Here're some photos.

kavala.jpg üstten.jpg

..................yaprak.jpg

Further information will be added later.

istanbulin

Founding Member

istanbulin

Founding Member
Kavala, the city, used to be called as "Mecca of tobacco" in the past. Although tobacco cultivation started in the 19th century (almost two centuries later than it started in other parts of the Ottoman Empire), Kavala become famous because of having plenty amount of tobacco companies and warehouses in early 20th century. But the "Great Depression" started in 1929 led it to decline.

I'm expecting a classic flavor like Xanthi but I'm not sure if I can achieve that with a plant growing in a pot. Some references indicates that it can be much more aromatic than Xanthi.

When all observations (physical) are completed I'll add a specification table here.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Of course no, it's watching a good view from the balcony. It does not get all day direct sunlight, this is why I'm suspicious about the final smoke.

Planter

In wondered because the plant looks like it hasn´t been exposed much to the elements, considering the pot size. Very nice. Following your example I just made use of the many small pots I have standing around, to accommodate the leftover-seedlings. They will get direct sunlight only for a few hours each day, but I doubt more would do them much good. (The bigger pots in full sun all day need water every single day now.)
Last year I grew some Orientals in smaller pots (though not as small as yours) and they did well after all, but looked more like the plants in pictures from Turkey and Greece, small-leaved and less than 2ft. tall.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Writing down of physical observations on Kavala finally finished. Actually, this type of measurements should be taken from more plants (20 or so) but there's a single one here.

I was a little suspicious about the results because of certain reasons (plant growing in a pot, partial sun, a single plant etc.) but some of my results match with the observations made by GRIN - like plant height, leaf angle, maturity etc.

It may not be the best source but may be a good start.

Page1.jpg

Last edited:

istanbulin

Founding Member
Kavala air cures to a light golden brown. It took 3 weeks to color cure. Although lamina is bone dry, midrib is still flexible at the leaf base.

Adsız.jpg
Comparison of green and color cured leaf.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Air-cured. It's just laid down onto a box to get cured, never got a piece of direct sunlight.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Although it's early to test the smoke of a leaf I smoked some Kavala mid-stalk leaves to see how it tastes. They were just rested 20 days or so after curing but as a whole leaf they were smelling real good. The smell of the leaves really seduced me to give them a try.

As a Basma type Oriental; Kavala has moderate amount of nicotine (I guess around 1.5%, it may change by growing manner), and so it is medium-bodied but flavorful.
Flavor and smell was different than Xanthi and it's sweeter, slightly honey like flavor. Kavala also resembles Basma (the variety from Black Sea Region) in terms of flavor and smell but more subtile when compared to Basma.
The room note was pleasant and combustibility was good.
The adstrigency of the smoke on tongue was the only con about Kavala smoke but I believe it becomes better after resting for few months and the flavors will become more notable.

Nice tobacco.

istanbulin

Founding Member
comp.jpg
Comparison of lower (right) and upper (left) leaves of Kavala, both air cured.

You can see the auricles are broader on the upper leaf and it cured to a slightly darker color. Accumulation of various compounds (nicotine and other organic compounds) is one of the resason for the darker color of the leaf when cured. While organic compounds increase from base to top on an Oriental plant, mineral compounds decrease.

istanbulin

Founding Member
The table above was renewed by adding the yield section and now it's bigger though not very legible because of low resolution. All the leaves of the single plant including the smallest tips were cured and weighted. The result is 15 grams (~ 0.53 oz).

Status
Not open for further replies.