Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Strange readings with TDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumdotabaco

clean water readings 300 ppm.
I was checking the readings in my water with my TDS, and I decide to increase it from 500ppm to 550
then I joined a teaspoon of Epsom slats , and I used the TDS again to check if the values still were 550ppm but they weren't after I joined the Epsom slats the readings drop to 220ppm, any idea why this happen? and what does this mean?

Ishi

how much water did you add the Epsom salts to. I think that you went over 1000. I did this with Fertilizer. Start with a 1/4 tsp and take a reading then add small amounts to get what you need.
Dan

forumdotabaco

The ph is ok I have been using the TDS and fert for 1 month now, that reaction only happens when you put the Epsom salts in the water after the fertilizer.
looks like a chemical reaction that neutralizes the ferts, can anyone try to replicate this?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Mine went nuts after adding Epsom Salts also. Since then, I have measured the fertilizer only with the meter, and added about a tablespoon of Epsom Salts per gallon of water after taking the reading. I only use this on the seedlings in trays though, I'm using pelleted fertilizer in the patch.

forumdotabaco

Mine went nuts after adding Epsom Salts also. Since then, I have measured the fertilizer only with the meter, and added about a tablespoon of Epsom Salts per gallon of water. I only use this on the seedlings in trays though, I'm using pelleted fertilizer in the patch.

That means that once we ad the Epsom salts, we cant use the same water over and over, because if you have the water adjusted 1st fertilizer and after you ad the epsom salts, you lose the readings control, so when you want to refert your water, you will not have valid readings ,so you will be forced to renew your water.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That means that once we ad the Epsom salts, we cant use the same water over and over, because if you have the water adjusted 1st fertilizer and after you ad the epsom salts, you lose the readings control, so when you want to refert your water, you will not have valid readings ,so you will be forced to renew your water.

The only time I use Epsom Salts is when the plants are yellow and there is the possibility of a magnesium deficiency. The rest of the time it is fertilizer only. I only measure the TDS of the water/fertilizer I am adding to the trays. I don't see the need to measure what has already been measured once.

forumdotabaco

The only time I use Epsom Salts is when the plants are yellow and there is the possibility of a magnesium deficiency.

you are right, I ad it yesterday to a water that I didn't use, I quit on that water a restarted again with new water, but I dont need the Epsom salts any more, I was trying to observe if I could increase the nutrient uptake and boost their growth

Knucklehead

Founding Member
you are right, I ad it yesterday to a water that I didn't use, I quit on that water a restarted again with new water, but I dont need the Epsom salts any more, I was trying to observe if I could increase the nutrient uptake and boost their growth

A worthy experiment. Keep us posted on the results. When will you be able to plant your crop in the field or are you growing in containers?

EDIT: BigBonner, the Kentucky commercial grower, uses a TDS of 900 for Burleys and 750 for Flue Cured in his float trays. (his water has a TDS of 200) Increasing your fertilizer to these numbers could give you the increase you are looking for. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/18-Tell-me-about-float-tray-systems

forumdotabaco

A worthy experiment. Keep us posted on the results. When will you be able to plant your crop in the field or are you growing in containers?

EDIT: BigBonner, the Kentucky commercial grower, uses a TDS of 900 for Burleys and 750 for Flue Cured in his float trays. (his water has a TDS of 200) Increasing your fertilizer to these numbers could give you the increase you are looking for. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/18-Tell-me-about-float-tray-systems

I don't know if I will plant them any more I have to wait to see,if I have something at the 15 of July I will try it , will be to late but I can have lucky lets see, anyway, I didn't used the water where did the strange readings, just replaced it for new water and them fertilize it , since I'm doing it all mixed (strains) I cant go above 520 I guess, I used 560 and I can notice a slight over fert in at least 2 plants, fortunately was just an warning.
I will update my grow blog I entirely forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.