Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from South Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolly

Hello,
I started growing tobacco in may of this year. So far I've been pretty happy with the results, and it's been fun to learn. I've been a member of another forum for about 6 months, but only recently found this one.

I'm primarily a pipe smoker. I enjoy mostly unflavored tobaccos -- burley, virginia, english, perique types mostly. My initial interest in growing came about through my discovery of some of the rope and flake tobaccos by Samuel Gawaith and Gawaith and Hoggarth. With the exception of the fire cured stuff - I thought I could grow tobaccos similar to these.

I'm limited by space, since I live in a townhouse. I've been growing on the patio in pots and in the border. My wife has reclaimed the border, so I've only got two pots going right now. I'm hoping that with the year round growing season I can get at least three crops a year out of those two pots.

Its been fun, and hey - every ounce I grow is an ouce I didn't have to buy.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I've been using a 18 gallon storage tub to keep my shredded tobacco in
I've often wondered how they would work for growing Tobacco in since they
have 2 and a half times more room for root development than a 5 gallon bucket.
It was about 6 bucks for the tub if I remember right.
That's a 2 and a half gallon zip lock baggie in the tub
smaq6.jpg

justintempler

Welcome jolly.

I'm just joined recently too. I'm getting into container growing specifically because I want to grow dark fired, except I'll be air curing.

dkh2,

As long as you understand that container growing is different than growing in dirt your 18 gallon container would work, although I'd think you'd have a lot of wasted space in a rectangular container. I think you'd be better off with round containers, 1 plant per container.

jolly

Thanks guys.
dkh2 - a 5 gal container would be the largest I'd use for a single plant. You may be able to get three plants in it, from the pic. It would be like a big window box. Give it a shot.

That said, I have a grow log in the HTGT forum that shows a very large fl sumatra growing in a in a pot that is about 3 gallons. Depending on your soil mix and fertilizer schedule, you may be able to reduce the volume rather than increase it.

Status
Not open for further replies.