Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone use the "HOBBYIST" CIGAR MOLDS made of

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUNSUPRIVER

I've seen a couple of "HOBBY GRADE" Cigar molds made from "HARD OHIO MAPLE". Looks like they are 50/50 circular cut made from router bits and then it all clamps down by using bolts and wing nuts.

How well do these work?

http://www.custommade.com/cigar-molds-presses-2/by/customfurniturecreations/

Just wondering how well these work. Seems to me that they might have a problem during the initial pressing stage since they might not take the bunched tobacco very well.

They look well built and pretty simple.

Thanks!

webmost

Looking primitive to me. I can't see where that wing nut idea is handy at all.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have one and compared to a real/ traditional mold, they suck. The mold is just a piece of maple that has been drilled . But I guess for about $60.00 they would be ok for a beginner. But then again you don't even need a mold unless you want to make pretty cigars.

webmost

Anyone else have a cigar mold with this type of clamping action:

durexcigarmold_01.jpg
Probably difficult to figure out from pictures. Maybe I should make a vid. Dunno how to post a vid here.

What you do is, you insert these tabs at the other end into those slots:

durexcigarmold_02.jpg

Then latch the hook and press down on the thumb tab. Super sweet and handy.

The bits of iron look like they were hammered out by a blacksmith. Scored it on E-Prey for I forget but 35 or 40 bucks. The insides are a work of art:

durexcigarmold_04.jpg

But the latching mechanism is the feature which sold me.

ArizonaDave

I think Fmgrowit (Don) posted somewhere that he was bringing Cigar molds, and was waiting on the order.

I use paper towels, the half sheet kind, then doubled, for my Cigars. It seems to help the drying process move along, and also place on some dry scrap leaves. I picked up the last part after I saw someone post that they use leaves to help dry them.

I don't know, it's working for me. I make different shapes that way. Sometimes I want a smaller cigar, sometimes a big cigar, a lot depends on time I have to enjoy it.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
My guess is...if simply plowing out a half cylinder in two pieces of wood then squishing them together worked, the industry would be using them. Commercial molds are a series of engineered parts assembled in a manner to create a actual mechanical function.

MarcL

There are some using that and like it. There is a pcv pipe split in half being used. I'd imagine if you take care it could work but, Don C. has a good point.
I will use news paper to press sometimes.
You can find some using no mold binding tight enough and wrapping right away. (Cuban)

Bruck

These will work but not as well as a proper cigar mold. They're only a slight improvement over the quick and dirty PVC molds.

7bkHzke.jpg

rzaX8Te.jpg

moscca

They are in Miami clearing customs as we speak. I expect delivery toward the end of next week.

Thats good news ! Please let me know when they are available, the I can also place my next leaf order.
So I save on the shipping to Honduras.

Jan.

RUNSUPRIVER

Has anyone out here made their own simple wood mold like the one in post #1?

I'm thinking they are routered and not drilled.

Thanks!

BarG

Founding Member
It would be a nice feat to reproduce the traditional cigar molds. I can see quit a bit of effort involved for a production run.

RUNSUPRIVER

It would be interesting to see the equipment that production molds were made on.

Wow! I like the 3/8" molding press.

Gdaddy

I prefer a mold that has a lip that slides into the other side of the mold. Male/female parts instead of just flat holes. The rolled bunch slides down into the mold and then the lid presses it into shape.

Mold.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.