Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tighting bit on a corncob pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I dipped the stem in schellac up to where the bit would stop.
I wiped off the schellac off the outside and stood it on end let dry overnight and repeat process until it fits to your liking.
Non Toxic also.
I could not find much googling loose bits.
BT

quo155

There were a lot of great ideas in that other thread...maybe I'll snag them and post them here (if ya don't mind?...and, unless others post them here!). Never hurts to have too many ideas!

Good to know the shellac business is working for you!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Sounds like your stem took a real shellacin' as my grandad used to say.
For ebonite stems I heat the end up and push (very slowly) a piece of tapered metal into it. This expands the end and when it cools it retains its new shape. I believe PIMCO sells a little kit for tightening stems but your solution is so simple it would be worth a try before spending any money on it.

Brown Thumb

There were a lot of great ideas in that other thread...maybe I'll snag them and post them here (if ya don't mind?...and, unless others post them here!). Never hurts to have too many ideas!
Good idea, Go ahead I don't know how to.

quo155

Good idea, Go ahead I don't know how to.

Here are some other ideas for folks to try...offered up here on FTT in a separate thread:

deluxestogie said:
Maybe a wrap or two of Teflon tape would take care of of the loose bits.

Bob

deluxestogie said:
One technique I've used successfully on an ebonite bit is to shallowly score the tenon lengthwise with a knife. I've actually had 6 such cuts make it too tight to fit the mortise, and had to sand it. (I suppose you could do a spiral score as well.) I'm not sure how that would work with the plastic bits used on the MM pipes.

Bob

Old Putt Cigars said:
I’ve used powered (white) chalk on some of my loose stems. I it works well and you don't have to alter the stem.

DirkReids

Sounds interesting.. Very unique idea I must say..Well I will surely try it coming weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.