Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

This years wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I still have about 6 cords from last January left but I got 3 more cords
The first cord got here today the guy built a box that is 8 foot by 4 foot by 4 foot
on a trailer bed with a few feet left on the end to work with it's a pretty nice little set up

bKGAj.jpg

GlH7v.jpg

I was pretty impressed with his handy work
No to ways about it, that is a real cord.
We have guys stop by occasionally with half this much trying to
sell us a bogus cord for 180 bucks this was 138 a cord we had
415 bucks for wood and I asked how much he could give us for that
amount and he said 3 cords so I am satisfied

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm still living hand to mouth pulling standing dead off my property, I only have like 3 cords that I scrounged and stacked and I'm hoping to save that for january onwards

dkh2

Were getting all the wood and staples that we can get our hands on.
I'm surrounded by forests and were not allowed to touch it.
There is so much fallen trees in the woods that the state has convicts cut it up
and sell it to the highest bidders that's who sold it to us. A few years ago all you did was go down and fill
out a form and they would mail you a permit to cut your own wood now it's so controlled
it's like a communist country where the government controls your every move.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
As far as that forestry permit goes I believe we still have it here, I gotta look into it next year. One of these years I will be warm dammit:)

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have all kinds of wood at my farm .
I looked into one of those outside wood burners .By the time I bought one of them and cut my own wood , it would take 6 years for it to pay for itself not counting the wood . I figure in 6 years the outside wood stove would need replacing .
I use electric and Lp gas for heat . It cost me less than $200 a month during the cold season .
I built a new house in 2007 , I insulated it good .
In My old house I had to nail the curtains down to keep the winter winds from blowing them down off the wall . My feet would freeze off from the cold air at the floor .

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I built this house (a salt box with it's back to the north) in 1986. All laughed at the amount of insulation I put in. I'm laughing now. With two wood stoves I heat all winter long on about 5 cord. I have oil fired backup in case I am sick or just plain lazy. I rarely hear the burner run. You guys might check with your local tree guys. I worked out a deal with a couple of mine where if they were faced with hauling stuff they cut a long ways they could just drop it here. I pay $25 / load which is about 3/4 of a cord. It saves them time and fuel. I get wood cheap. I split and stack it myself in a long row that is 8' wide. I would split and stack any time he dropped a load and pay him when I saw him. This means sometimes I worked like the devil and others I just loafed along. Working from one end to the other continuously I am always burning the driest wood I have. I stack the wood on scrap pallets so that air circulates under and up thru the pile.

Last edited:

dkh2

Those logs were a dump truck load 350 bucks that was a lot of work for me
after getting home from work then sawing this up not bad for a 56 year old.
After sawing them up I wheel barrowed them to the back yard and split the
bigger ones and stacked them in the shed.

indianjoe

Founding Member
I got two wood heaters and probably 6 propane heaters, along with two heat pumps in my house. The wood heaters burn a lot duiring winter and I usually only burn 3-4 cords, but it is fairly warm here in lower Alabama, lol.

BarG

Founding Member
I use a 250 gallon propane tank and a couple of nice propane heaters for my house, but I burn about 2 cords worth in the wood burning stove in my shop, Its aso good for frying bacon in a cast iron skillet and camp stove coffe pot in the mornings. I got a ton of dead trees this year but I always use up the branches that don't have to be split and save the truncks for lumber if their big enough.

Boboro

I burn a couple cords a year all the heat I got. If it ant 80 Im cold. Cut it outa the yard. A real cord is 4 by 8. when you buy it thy want to sell 2 by 8.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I just got home and house was 50,(oil tstat set to 45 and I avoid it during at all costs) so now I'm in the basement with a chair starting a roaring fire smoking a cigar and browsing ftt. Life is good:)
Haven't spent a dime on oil yet

BarG

Founding Member
A cord here is 2'x4'x16', I cut all my wood 12-24" for my small 100 yr. old wood burner. Just had dinner and rolled a cheroot myself smokesahoy. Last week we were waking up to 18 deg. this week its more like 50.

ThomM

Have any of you guys heard of or used a Rocket Mass Heater? http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp
I just recently found out about them and think I may build one this summer for future winter use.
I'm in an old farm house and currently heat with kero. It sucks, but is still a little cheaper then using heating oil in the furnace.
If the claims about the Rocket Heater are true they could be a good, cheap, effective way to heat for the winter.
Being in New York where both kero and heating oil are close to $4 a gallon, cheap and effective are pretty mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.