Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DIY $10 Tuck cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

I've been curious for some time now on how difficult it would be to make a DIY tuck cutter. They aren't cheap by any means. Heck, for the price of a tuck cutter you could buy 10 lbs. of tobacco or more. I didn't really need one since I don't care about consistent length and my . So it ended up being a fun project.

Parts include... (all Home Deposit)

Cigar cutter blades. (had a pair of cigar scissors I wan't using)
2 36" pieces of 1/2" oak
1 - bolt
2 - washers
1 - nylon lock nut
1 - piece of 3/4" PVC

Turned out to be very simple for a first time prototype. Had it done in 3 or 4 hours start to finish and it works perfectly.

tuck cutter 4.jpg

tuck cutter 7.jpg

tuck cutter3.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice. And a project others might be inspired to build.

The 3/4" PVC pipe limits the cutter to 45 ring. A 7/8" pipe might match the radius of those particular blades more closely, though the blade edge does not appear to be circular.

I suppose taking apart a $3 double guillotine cutter might work for the blades, but I'm not sure how you would anchor them. Those cheapies from JR Cigar are stainless, and will go up to 60 ring (1" PVC pipe).

Bob

EDIT: What holds the blades in place?

MarcL

Gdaddy

Very nice. And a project others might be inspired to build.

The 3/4" PVC pipe limits the cutter to 45 ring. A 7/8" pipe might match the radius of those particular blades more closely, though the blade edge does not appear to be circular.

I suppose taking apart a $3 double guillotine cutter might work for the blades, but I'm not sure how you would anchor them. Those cheapies from JR Cigar are stainless, and will go up to 60 ring (1" PVC pipe).

Bob

EDIT: What holds the blades in place?

The PVC pipe I used is 3/4" ID. but you could use what ever you want.

For this prototype I roughed the surface of the stainless steel blade with a file and then used epoxy to glue them in place. This way I was able to get the two blade faces perfectly fitted for a clean cut. It's very easy this way. BTW... I used shafting epoxy that I use to put stainless steel golf clubs together. Very strong bond.

Gdaddy

How about the arm, is it just tight?

The bolt holding the arm is just snug enough to hold it in the air. I could loosen it a tad and put a return spring but why bother. It's sandwiched between two other pieces to keep it straight.

Gdaddy

A simple way to set the desired length. I have it drilled for 5" and one for 6". You could put as many holes as you want.

BTW... That's the large (bamboo?) tooth pick I use for my martinis. I just love those jumbo queen olives and a regular toothpick just doesn't do it for me. It is very secure, strong and works just fine.

tuck cutter 5.jpg

Brown Thumb

I like it. I like it a lot. I will build one myself to cut up my little backwoods I make.
Where is my granite so I can finish that project. Last I heard from My Buddy, that his Buddy's wife filed for divorce and the shop is being inventoried.

Status
Not open for further replies.