Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Any reason to not build a "cooler-dor"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUNSUPRIVER

I've got to decide where to store my home rolled.

I've been figuring I might want to keep them separate from store bought humidor while I play with drying and re humidifying etc.

Also, looking for a way to store my bulk purchased cigars.

Are there any negatives for a COOLER-DOR?

The plastic smell is said to go away, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Any help is appreciated.

I just did this google search-

https://www.google.com/search?q=coo...qFqgbZ9oKACw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1680&bih=903

Wow.

moscca

Also planning on this. With the high humidity here all year, I was thinking of putting my fresh rolled for one week in a tupperware box with 49 Rh Boveda packs before I put them in my humedor

webmost

Are there any negatives for a COOLER-DOR?
Yes. You tend to blow a lot of money filling the darn thing up.
Then you get another one.
The plastic smell is said to go away, but I'm not sure I believe that.
I never noticed any plastic smell. But then, I did not use brand new coolers, either. I have one cooler we got in Idaho to tote snackies back to Dull-Aware. It's prolly 24qts, and kinda flat in shape. That one holds my home rollwed and my bulk. I have odd and ends of cedar in there, too, to make some sniff in it. I have another chest shape cooler which was kicking round the shed from forever. It's a 48qt. Holds my leaf. If you need to get a new cooler, take it on a picnic first. A good soak will unsmell it. Or get a new one and swap it for the old one you use now for picnics.

They do keep humidity right smack on the money. I took a hole saw to the smaller one so I could insert a rear sensing hygrometer. Thing sits on 65% month after month. Nothing like the tending a cedar box requires. You do want to open it now and then so it will breathe.

It's crzy. Nuts. I have the 100 count inlaid cedar box I first bought, holds my premiums; a 50 count rosy lacquered cedar box, holds my fire cured; the two coolidors; and a closet shelf filled with FX Smiths boxes. Then I have a cookie canister with more smokes at the office. It's got entirely out of hand.

MarcL

Yes. You tend to blow a lot of money filling the darn thing up.
Then you get another one.

That's funny. That's the first thought I had. .... But, .. It's not so bad when your not aware of the devil site. Right?

quo155

The "tiny" negatives, if any...in the over scheme of this project, are...well, tiny! What I'm saying is that there are thousands and thousands of people using coolerdors...all over!

They work great, can be a large scale, inexpensive way for storage. In the 15+ years that I've used one for boxes and excess sticks...I've never had an issue with smell (plastic) and they stay perfectly humid (with proper beads, or kitty litter...or whatever you choose) and even cool...er!

Go for it!

SteveSatch

It's what I use. Use beads or silica kitty litter to keep the RH where you like it.

webmost

I don't use a thing in either of my coolidors. Here in Dull-Aware weather, they each keep their digital hygros spot on the money. Very tight seals.

Gdaddy

Being in Florida the wine cooler (wineador) with temperature control is by far a better choice. 66 degrees 64% RH rock solid year round. You can get them off Craigs list pretty cheap. Last one I picked up for $35. Totally silent, energy efficient and easier to get cigars in and out when making a selection. I also like the ability to see inside through the glass door without opening it.

Status
Not open for further replies.