Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pass on something you've learned in your life

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
Always wear clean underwear in case you are in an accident! True story- My mother always used to tell me as a kid to always put on clean underwear in case I'm in an accident . Well, one day (as an adult) I woke up and decided to go out and cut some firewood. I was supossed to go to my brother's house later in the day for a Christmas party. I figured since I was going to cut firewood I'd just wear the clothes from the day before, cut some wood, take a shower and go to my brother's. So I go outside and proceeded to run the chainsaw into my knee, slicing the flesh wide open. I pinched the wound together, hobbled to the house and got my wife to drive me to the ER. The doctor peered at the wound and said to me "We can either cut those jeans off above to knee or if you want to save them we can gently remove them. Even though my mom had passed away a few years ago I clearly heard her say..." Always put on clean underwear". Knowing that my underwear was quite "soiled" at this point I told them to cut the pant leg off.

So yes... Always wear clean underwear.

In the worst case scenario as you described it would not matter they would get soiled anyway. The only solution is don't wear underwear.

BarG

Founding Member
It takes twice as long to do something half-assed and do it over then doing it right the first time

If you don't have time to do it right the first time. what makes you think you have time to do it right the second time. Aint that what your saying.

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
I always got told not to use my hand as a hammer. It never sunk in till earlier this year when I started having problems with my pinky, ring finger and palm. My pinky is now usually ice cold along with half my ring finger and have to be careful putting pressure on my palm. Years of pounding on wrenches, banging things into place and using a machete have now damaged my right hand. It's a big problem for me at work now (steel fabricator leaning towards boiler maker) as I can barely use a hammer in my right hand and extended periods of gringing cause a lot of pain. So, don't use your hand as a hammer, that's what hammers are for! And for gosh sake wear ear plugs when things get loud, I always have and am very greatful for it.
Me being a carpenter , Whars my hammer. I probably have a dozen. Where are they when need one.
The trick to falling off a building is dont.

alhungie

Never rush into a situation head first, take time to study and find the best approach - Dark Souls

webmost

The First Law of the Universe is the Law of Unintended Consequences. This most potent of all Laws is usually unheeded.

The Second Law of the Universe if the Law of Cruel Irony. This second most potent law is usually a corollary of the First Law.

These two laws alone make up nearly the entire syllabus of Hard Knox School of Law.

CT Tobaccoman

webmost,

"Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism."

I like that. The neo puritans seem to believe that they will live forever if only they don't get any "second hand smoke," and the right kind of foods and supplements, and the right exercise regime. And, being Puritans, they figure that disagreement with them should be against the law.

I miss the 60s and 70s. Maybe there are so many puritans now because kids are over supervised. When I was a kid, it was "Go out and play, and don't come home until suppertime." What parent in the last 25 years has said that to their kid?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Mine did. If I wasn't back by dark (without coming back and letting them know I'd be gone) they'd start looking for us. Other than that, we wandered many miles, fishing in the creek and lakes with a wood fishing pole (and some twine I carried), we'd hunt rodents sometimes, build a fort etc. And I'm only 22...I'm scared for others in my generation and younger. Biggest reason my wife and I are looking at buying a farm in the country (possibly this month) and homeschooling is a definite.

(Sorry...this topic went off topic a bit!)

Jason

My dad used to say

"money comes and money goes but the friendships you make can last you a lifetime" don't put money before your friends and family.

He also said "everything in moderation" which is probably the most humble statement one could live by

Status
Not open for further replies.