Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerasaan

I finished a snus recipe over the weekend

here is what I did:
ground 250g tobacco, 60% Dark fire cured, 20% Virginia, 20% Burley
put 6g kosher salt in 40g water & added it to the ground tobacco
cooked it in the crock pot for 40 hours @ 93 C
put 7g sodium carbonate in 40g water & added it to the cooked tobacco mixture (it bubbled & hissed & gave off noxious fumes while mixing)
then I cooked this in the crock pot for 6 hours @ 93 C
Cooled it in the fridge overnight
scooped it in my copenhagen cans (2) & froze the rest

Sampling!!
Tastes not nearly as harsh as copenhagen, but there is an underlying nicotine hit that really packs a punch.
For my first time making my own snus I find it Quite satisfying.

justintempler

Sampling the snus about two days after the cook is about the earliest point when you can begin judging how your recipe turned out. Snus straight from the crockpot is still "green", it needs about a week or two of aging in the refrigerator to develop its final flavor. Something that tastes like crap straight from the crockpot can taste great a week or two later.

Time and temperature look great. I can't figure out your numbers. I only see 250g of tobacco, 6 g salt, 40 g water, 7g sodium carbonate, 40 g water.

The ratio of tobacco/water should be somewhere in the 1:1/1:1.5 range
Salt should be 4-6g per 100 g of dry tobacco ( a lot of recipes on the internet have way too much salt 9-13g per 100g)
and
Sodium or potassium carbonate anywhere from 4-9g per 100g of dry tobacco.

BTW. You shouldn't freeze snus until it has aged for a couple weeks in the fridge. Freezing it is an excellent method of storage but it needs to finish maturing in the refrigerator before freezing it. Freezing it stops the maturing process.

Cerasaan

thanks justin, after 2 weeks maturing i find out its kind of bland, needs more salt & sodium carbonate, does not really have bite like i am used to :( how ever i may adjust this stuff with some maple syrup or flavouring just to make it palatable . Ted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.