Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

bug buck bugGAWK

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Rode the big beemer bagger up the Northeast Extension to downtown Bethlehem PA yesterday, to herf up at the cigar shop of a Dominican named Franklin, who until recently rolled OpusX for Arturo Fuente, now rolls for his own shop in Bethlehem, named To'Makao. Seems like a natural thing for a Dominican named Franklin to move to Pennsylvania. Says for a while he even settled in Philly.

At any rate, meandering toward my point here... after the soccer game was over, Franklin put a video tour of the Fuente plantation on the widescreen. Whole lot of thriving perfect plants under 20 acres cheesecloth. And running round the plant stalks, flocks of chickens hunting bugs.

Any you guys use chickens to thin the bugs?

BTW -- Franklin tells me To'Makao is the autochthonous term for a cigar press.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco growers in colonial Virginia used (black, Spanish) turkeys in the tobacco fields for the same purpose. Chicken (the FTT member) has used chickens. Since most omnivorous fowl will eat tiny greens, the trick is to wait until the plants have a bit of height (don't know how much), before releasing the critters into the field.

Bob

Ben Brand

Did you know that the South African kudu eats tobacco, Ive found many of my plant eaten by kudu`s, they tend to like the young tender shoots. Webmost I don`t know if chickens or kudus eat bugs.:cool:

webmost

Did you know that the South African kudu eats tobacco, Ive found many of my plant eaten by kudu`s, they tend to like the young tender shoots. Webmost I don`t know if chickens or kudus eat bugs.:cool:
So keep a leopard in the field to eat the kudu.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if I'd argue with this guy.

250px-Male_Kudu_Eating.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudu

Bob

DGBAMA

I beleive a Kudu in the baccy patch would result in it receiving a dinner invitation from my friend Mr. Remington.

Ben Brand

I did shoot one or two of them, making a awsome jerky, but getting older (and maybe stupid) I can`t shoot them anymore, feeling sorry for them. Now I go to the butcher and buy some beef or chicken.

forumdotabaco

I did shoot one or two of them, making a awsome jerky, but getting older (and maybe stupid) I can`t shoot them anymore, feeling sorry for them. Now I go to the butcher and buy some beef or chicken.

your not getting stupid, you just realise that humans and animals share the most precious thing in this universe.
A soul

quo155

Rode the big beemer bagger up the Northeast Extension to downtown Bethlehem PA yesterday, to herf up at the cigar shop of a Dominican named Franklin, who until recently rolled OpusX for Arturo Fuente, now rolls for his own shop in Bethlehem, named To'Makao. Seems like a natural thing for a Dominican named Franklin to move to Pennsylvania. Says for a while he even settled in Philly.

At any rate, meandering toward my point here... after the soccer game was over, Franklin put a video tour of the Fuente plantation on the widescreen. Whole lot of thriving perfect plants under 20 acres cheesecloth. And running round the plant stalks, flocks of chickens hunting bugs.

Any you guys use chickens to thin the bugs?

BTW -- Franklin tells me To'Makao is the autochthonous term for a cigar press.

This is a very interesting story...and what an opportunity (in my mind) for you to have met this guy and have him "close by"! Cool story!

Status
Not open for further replies.