Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Virginia gold and VA Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
VA Gold and Virginia Gold could very well be the same variety, but the seed source is the most important thing to keep in mind. While sharing the same name, the two types could very well be different varieties, so it's important to keep them separate until you know definitively they are the same.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If one of them came from here: http://www.onlinetobaccoseedstore.com/cigarette-types/cigarette-types-u-to-z/virginian-gold-1
You best call them and ask them the name. Last year Virginia Gold #1 was K326. The Virginia Golds #2 & #3 were of a hybrid virginia. The names are just made up names. The real variety behind the name may even change from year to year and still be called Virginia Gold #1. Jessica didn't like that at all. I think Sky supplies them seed, but he doesn't have any say on the names used. The seed are good, the commercial rebranding is what I don't like. Anyway, find out if you can so you don't mix the legitimate Virginia Gold (which I think has it's own PI number) with the rebranded for commercial purposes Virginia Gold #1, which is something else entirely.

DGBAMA

The seed I sent you, I labeled va gold. It is Virginia Gold, originally from "Seedman". In his catalog it is labeled TA-202, Virginia Gold.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i know it's a damn good bacca for blended cigg's.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Thanks DGBAMA, That was exactly what I was refering to. I have Virginia gold from six people on the go. Some of them look different from each other but I think it has more to do with growing conditions then difference in strains.

skychaser

If one of them came from here: http://www.onlinetobaccoseedstore.com/cigarette-types/cigarette-types-u-to-z/virginian-gold-1
You best call them and ask them the name. Last year Virginia Gold #1 was K326. The Virginia Golds #2 & #3 were of a hybrid virginia. The names are just made up names. The real variety behind the name may even change from year to year and still be called Virginia Gold #1. Jessica didn't like that at all. I think Sky supplies them seed, but he doesn't have any say on the names used. The seed are good, the commercial rebranding is what I don't like. Anyway, find out if you can so you don't mix the legitimate Virginia Gold (which I think has it's own PI number) with the rebranded for commercial purposes Virginia Gold #1, which is something else entirely.

None of those are mine. I'm not thrilled by vendors not using the proper names either. There are several varieties of Virginian Bright Leaf sold as "Virginia Gold" by different vendors. Be careful what you buy if you want the real thing. The actual Virginia Gold variety is PI 552334. I have 100 of them growing and will have seed in the fall.

The #2 and #3 are both are F1 hybrids. One variety is CC27 which he was selling as hybrid Early Virginia Gold a couple years ago. The other was called hybrid Virginia Gold on the website back then and it is actually PVH2306. CC27 is produced by Cross Creek Seed here in the US. PVH2306 is produced by Profigen in Brazil. Both are excellent producers and will out produce heirloom types of Virginia Bright Leafs by 2-1. If you want a large quantity of big beautiful leaf and don't care about saving seed, grow CC27 or PVH2306. We have over 200 PVH2306 growing again this year for smoking leaf. It's my wife's favorite, along with Harrow Velvet. We have 250 Harrow Velvets growing this year too and over 200 of Costello. (my favorite)

COLIN

I'm wishing to grow a large number of Bright Leaf this year for cigarette blends would you recommend this one. Also is Harrow velvet and Costello a bright leaf.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Harrow Velvet is a mild Burley.
Costello is a flue cured variety. Sky sent me some leaf samples claiming it was his favorite single variety cigarette leaf. I agree. To me, it tasted like a flue cure/ Oriental blend, but it wasn't. It was just straight up Costello. It's on my personal grow list for next year. I'll also grow Harrow Velvet for my mild Burley, along with TN90 or TN86 for a stronger Burley, giving me more blending options. You'll love the Costello. My other flue cure variety will be Reams 158.

Check out the info on all these at Sky's site: Northwood Seeds Retail

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
speaking of the 2 different names.

last night i seperated my seedlings into putting one plant per cell . in thier new trays,

and i have both types labeled. va. gold. and virginia gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.