Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seed bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The FTT seed bank is alive and well. We have a primary seed bank, and a number of back-up sites. I'm not sure who will be handling the distribution for 2014, but we'll clarify that soon (for the Southern Hemisphere members). Grow-outs performed during 2014 will not be ready for distribution until late fall, at the earliest.

Pricing for distribution will also change, since, so far, all the costs of packaging, handling and postage have been paid from the personal funds of whoever has distributed it. Costs add up really fast.

Bob

POGreen

I donated three different strains of Rustica to the Seed Bank today.
1 from Canada 2-400 seeds
1 '' Russia 250 seeds
1 '' Germany 200 seeds

It is not strains from my own grow , I have them sent for from respective country in original seed packs.

POGreen

From Canada we have 1000 year old tobacco , 2 packs of 1-200 seeds in each pack , got them from Dan Jason at http://www.saltspringseeds.com/catalog/index.cfm?categoryid=40 .Have been in there but can't find this particular strain anymore.
From Russia and http://magicles.org/ comes Makhorka Tall Green Shag 317 , 5 packs of 50 seeds each , http://magicles.org/?46,visokoroslaya_zelenaya_mahorka
And from Germany we have a strain namned Timmer Spaison , about 200 seeds , http://www.tabakanbau.de/de/shop.php?id=33666

These are all Nicotiana Rusticas , where I've grown the first one in my patch and had very very good results , leaves at 20 x 17-18 ''

skychaser

The "1000 year old tobacco" is most likely TR 55 PI 478886 It's a strain of Aztec imported from India.

PO - You can push most any variety into having giant leaves with the heavy nitrogen you use. But you may find this do be a disadvantage though, especially when it comes to curing it. Rusticas are a pain to color cure as it is. And you can end up with giant veined leaf too.

Just my 2 cents worth
Sky

POGreen

It does actually look different in the specifics of the leaf itself , anyway thats what I think . I can not see any similarities in the 2 varieties.
That is one of the challanges of growing tobacco , if a problem occours the objective is to resolve it .
My objective this year was to get big leaves , now I got them and I haven't seen any problems yet.
Maybe I will find trouble and if I do I try to fix it.

GC-1 or TR 55 variety on the left hand side 1000 year old tobacco from saltspringseeds on the right hand side

skychaser

Sorry, I was going by memory of the picts you sent me a few days ago. I probably confused my names. doh'

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...1000 year old
That's an unfortunate "name" that always raises the hackles on the back of my neck, since no tobacco seed could remain viable for 1000 years (especially in the purported "discovery" site of an archeological dig in the humid, Pacific Northwest, where I would expect seed not stored with desiccant to last considerably fewer than 10 years). It's just hokum. (That's stogiespeak for fraud.)

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Their description says the seeds were found in a sealed container near the Great Lakes region near an Indian burial ground. Learn something new everyday. I thought only Rustica grew in that area back then.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Here is one of mine, obviously not 1k yr old seed, this is from the seed bank a couple years ago I think the ruffles might just be a trait of brasilia
View attachment 12189

janetta007

It says, they were discovered in pottery sealed with pitch in a native burial site. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.