Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

growing Isleta Pueblo for pipe tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I grew it three yrs ago and it was given to me with a seed order From eBay.
It just said Nicotiana Rustica I think. It grew like a bush, Small leaves and smelled like Cat Wee.
A real PITA Plant for the Yield.
The stuff PO and GrFinny
are growing looks like a winner.

SmokeStack

Hi Smokes ,

Naw , I never did sucker them Islas , was much caught up in a Rapture of some kind , used CalciumN in my waterbarrels last year too and had a tremendous exchange of that CN.
Now , when I sort of waken up from the rapture I leave no suckers or buds.
Do u use any manure in yer grow of some kind ?

This year 2014 is my third season growing tobacco. As a chemist, I made a high-nitrogen concoction from urea, ammonium nitrate and potassium nitrate. I used it the first only year on some of my plants to see if it worked. I noticed that the leaves of the tobacco plants treated with this fertilizer turned dark green in 2 to 3 days. They also grew a little faster. Since I wanted my tobacco to be organic, I did not use any fertilizer the second season and I still got good results. This year I will use natural bat guano that my brother swears by. I have read that tobacco can quickly deplete the soil of its nutrients. This is what prompted me to use the bat guano, but I am not sure if it contains the necessary trace elements. I am still looking into it.

POGreen

Think I know exactly what you mean Smokes and its a very interesting issue too.
Have been into thinkin about using BatGuano myself ( had a peakthinkin last year) but I sort of forgot about it , but I'm all ears if u come up with any ideas

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
This year 2014 is my third season growing tobacco. As a chemist, I made a high-nitrogen concoction from urea, ammonium nitrate and potassium nitrate. I used it the first only year on some of my plants to see if it worked. I noticed that the leaves of the tobacco plants treated with this fertilizer turned dark green in 2 to 3 days. They also grew a little faster. Since I wanted my tobacco to be organic, I did not use any fertilizer the second season and I still got good results. This year I will use natural bat guano that my brother swears by. I have read that tobacco can quickly deplete the soil of its nutrients. This is what prompted me to use the bat guano, but I am not sure if it contains the necessary trace elements. I am still looking into it.
Wow, That is nice to know smokestack! I use KOH some times when I remember. I gave Greg this to use and they are on the road to heaven with the FAST2GROW. 1 tsp. epsom salts, salpetre, baking pwder and 1/4 teaspoon amonia. The Bat Guano is to expensive here and the FAST2GROW has the same effect for My plants.

SmokeStack

Wow, That is nice to know smokestack! I use KOH some times when I remember. I gave Greg this to use and they are on the road to heaven with the FAST2GROW. 1 tsp. epsom salts, salpetre, baking pwder and 1/4 teaspoon amonia. The Bat Guano is to expensive here and the FAST2GROW has the same effect for My plants.

Very interesting combination of chemicals. By KOH do you mean potassium hydroxide? That's a very strong base!

SmokeStack

I am about to add the bat guano, but I am not sure how much to add to each plant. Even though bat guano is an organic fertilizer, I'm afraid that by adding too much will kill my plants. Adding to little will be an expensive waste.

POGreen

I am about to add the bat guano, but I am not sure how much to add to each plant. Even though bat guano is an organic fertilizer, I'm afraid that by adding too much will kill my plants. Adding to little will be an expensive waste.

One teaspoon in a gallon of water is what I've read about over here.
Let it stand/rest for 24 h.
The place I read this also says to repeat the fertilization 3-5 times in a season.
Never tried it myself so I can't say how to give the best treatment.

SmokeStack

One teaspoon in a gallon of water is what I've read about over here.
Let it stand/rest for 24 h.
The place I read this also says to repeat the fertilization 3-5 times in a season.
Never tried it myself so I can't say how to give the best treatment.

I believe the bag of bat guano that my brother gave me comes as a powder. I was planning on adding the bat guano by placing the powder on the soil around the base of the plant as my brother did with his vegetable garden. With 110 plants that I have, making up such a large quantity of solution would be arduous work. I will research it and post a reply when I get some information. Also, my bat guano is 10-1-1 which is high in nitrogen. As the season progresses, I read that one should cease adding high nitrogen fertilizers. My brother has a bag of bat guano that is 1-10-1 which is high in phosphorus. Bat guano fertilizers can vary drastically in composition. Another topic to research. I will post my findings as soon as I get a little time to spare.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
As the season progresses, I read that one should cease adding high nitrogen fertilizers. .

Tobacco has all the N and K it will use at bud time. Fertilizing after that is a waste. The high P guano would be good for big and pretty flowers but we don't care too much about that with tobacco.

SmokeStack

Tobacco has all the N and K it will use at bud time. Fertilizing after that is a waste. The high P guano would be good for big and pretty flowers but we don't care too much about that with tobacco.

Jitterbug, do you recommend fertilizing shortly after transplanting seedlings to the ground and then cease fertilizing?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It depends on what you are using for fertilizer. The more organic types like fish, kelp, soft rock phosphate etc take a long time to work. Quicker acting fertilizers like ammonium nitrate/sulfate are quicker acting. I believe most commercial farmers put down their N and P and K a few weeks before planting. Minerals are usually put down in the fall.

I only fertilize about every 7 years or so. I had a soil test done about 20 years ago. I liked the way my tobacco grew and tasted so I made a note that I will keep my fertilizer results as a baseline and when my nutrients drop below it I will fertilize back up to that level. I few years ago I fertilized to a much higher level of N that I normally would. The result was that most of my tobacco had way too much nicotine. I even had Turkish and Maryland tobacco that knocked me to the ground with all the nicotine in it.

All I'm saying I guess, is everyone should get a soil test to use as a baseline. Use it to make the decision to fertilize or not to fertilize depending on what your tobacco is like.

It doesn't make sense to fertilize once the plants have budded.

POGreen

I grew it three yrs ago and it was given to me with a seed order From eBay.
It just said Nicotiana Rustica I think. It grew like a bush, Small leaves and smelled like Cat Wee.
A real PITA Plant for the Yield.
The stuff PO and GrFinny
are growing looks like a winner.

Thanks BT ,
I was very lucky ( I think so ) this year to get a hold of 15 varieties from The ARS-GRIN seed request we had last/this year. I'm very Grateful to Knuck , he's the man.....and I grew the following varieties down below.
Brasilia No 23 PI 499175
GC 1 PI 478886 ( Unfortunaley eaten up by snails/slugs )
Nicotiana Hybrid C 39-193 PI 499177
Makhorka # 11 Stalingradskaia PI 499190
Makhorka # 10 Sorotooskaia PI 499189
4399 L-5-2-1 PI 499167
This is what I can remember about this years grow/plants , BUT I think it is the soilization/Urea/ that have fed them very well and made them into what they are as of now.
Monstrous Rustica Plants if I may say so , could not in my wildest imagination see that they could be this big/leafves.
I've been pretty thorough pickin suckers+ buds and that plays its part too ofcourse.
greg is growing Nicotiana Rustica Ancient.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm growing out Isleta Pueblo to refresh some seeds and some Mahorka 6 Yellow 109 to increase my number of seed. Rustica is a weird animal when you're growing it for the first time. I'm beginning to think that whatever Rustica can do, a Dark variety can do better. Of course, I have yet to smoke any Rustica, so I may change my mind later.

DonH

I'm growing out Isleta Pueblo to refresh some seeds and some Mahorka 6 Yellow 109 to increase my number of seed. Rustica is a weird animal when you're growing it for the first time. I'm beginning to think that whatever Rustica can do, a Dark variety can do better. Of course, I have yet to smoke any Rustica, so I may change my mind later.

I don't think Dark Air can do what Rustica does. Rustica, while high in nicotine, has a very mild but unique flavor. It's smooth where Dark Air can be harsh. And the unique flavor is an acquired taste, but I like it enough to have planted six Aztecas this year even though the yields are crappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.