Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

growing Isleta Pueblo for pipe tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

I grew Isleta Pueblo (a Rustica) for the last two years to be used as a component of pipe tobacco mixtures; however, I am uncertain if I have grown them properly. Isleta Pueblo seems to produce a lot of suckers very quickly and the plant grows more like a bushy shrub (2 to 3 feet tall) rather than your typical stalk. The leaves are rather small and somewhat circular and the plant quickly grows flowers in about a month. I am wondering whether or not I should have removed the suckers. Do Rusticas grow as a stalk if the suckers are removed? If so, do the leaves grow larger and change shape from circular to more elongated?

I do not live on the property where I grow my tobacco, so if I am not there for two weeks, the Rusticas seem to grow uncontrollably. That's why I did not remove the suckers.

From the leaves that I harvested, I smoked some (without any kiln fermentation but aged for a year) through a pipe and the smoke was rather pleasant - hard to describe. I was expecting a nicotine buzz since Rusticas are known for their high nicotine content. Since I am a heavy cigarette smoking, my tolerance to nicotine prohibits me from experiencing any of its effects. I smoke the pipe more for the olfactory sensation anyway, but I wanted to know if a high nicotine content correlates to a properly grown Rustica.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I do not live on the property where I grow my tobacco
Marco,
Most rusticas, like hazel nuts, will sucker prolifically, and produce a shrub with smaller leaves, unless you promptly remove all the suckers. Removing suckers, and topping, will increase the nicotine, and yield larger individual leaves. While I can't speak specifically about Isleta Pueblo, I can point out that my Sacred Cornplanter was aggressively tended, removing all suckers. That was tedious. It produced large, dinner-plate-shaped leaves that seemed to have medium nicotine, but none of them were topped.

I would say the answer lies in your geographic arrangement. Since you can only sucker them infrequently, I would just accept the shrubs and smaller leaves. I believe most FTT members who grow a rustica variety do not sucker them, and often do not top them.

My own notion is that just about any burley will give you the nicotine jolt, but do it in a much nicer tobacco.

Bob

ArizonaDave

I believe most FTT members who grow a rustica variety do not sucker them, and often do not top them.

My own notion is that just about any burley will give you the nicotine jolt, but do it in a much nicer tobacco.

Bob

Is this the same tobacco one of our other members in Mexico is growing too?

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Isleta is grown here where I am. I work with many of the tribsmen. They say it is native of this area, but will not disclose the origens. Only complain of My grows. I would say Rustica butt, Think it came from spain. ?? It needs cut with a Turkish( Orintal ) to smooth it out. add some Bursa or the like and VG. They are a short plant here, up to 4-5 ft. They are a nice plant. Mad-

SmokeStack

Pretty soon Isleta Pueblo will be native to Michigan.:eek: Last year I had Isleta Pueblo tobacco plants growing wild around the patch in which it was grown the previous year. It must have been from all the seeds that fell in the autumn since I did not top them off. It is a very hardy plant and reached maturity quickly. I let the leaves cure right on the plant and harvested them in the late fall. I then collected the brown leaves and stored them in large 5 liter jars. I did not ferment the leaves - I just aged them. At first Isleta Pueblo has a slightly fresh "grassy" aroma when smoked through a pipe; however, after a year of aging it changes and acquires a unique flavor - a bit difficult for me to describe. I use it as a blend as follows:

30% Isleta Pueblo Aged One Year (home grown)
35% Brown Cavendish of Flue Cured Virginia Bright Leaf (purchased from Whole Leaf Tobacco, but I made the cavendish)
25% Lightly Toasted TN 90 Burley (purchased from Whole Leaf Tobacco, but I did the toasting)
10% St. James Parish McClelland Blending Perique (can be purchased from many online pipe tobacco vendors - going to make my own soon)

I made a 500 gram batch as follows: I shredded the above components, mixed them together, and married the resulting mixture for two weeks under high pressure. It took a bit of experimenting in small batches to arrive at the above proportions, but I will definitely increase the amount of Burley next time.

I am surprised that Rusticas have not made their way into the mainstream pipe tobacco industry. At least I am not aware of it.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break

SmokeStack

Thanks Bob for the link. Next year I will experiment with other varieties so it's nice to have a source of seeds. For this season's Isleta Pueblo, I will make more of an effort to remove the suckers in hopes of getting larger leaves. I was just reading a thread on Rusticas and I saw some photos of beautiful, large-leaf plants. As for your Sacred Cornplanter, how would you describe its aroma? Do you smoke it in cigar form or through a pipe? Also, did you kiln ferment the leaves?

POGreen

I grew a few Isla Pueblo in my patch last year , got the seeds from the former owner of nicotianaproject.net. ( forgot his name , but a REALLY nice guy)
Ended up with being one of the tallest plants I had over 2 meters high.

Should've ended it right there and topped the plant.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I grew a few Isla Pueblo in my patch last year , got the seeds from the former owner of nicotianaproject.net. ( forgot his name , but a REALLY nice guy)
Ended up with being one of the tallest plants I had over 2 meters high.

Should've ended it right there and topped the plant.
I have never seen one here on Isleta pueblo over 5' tall. Your UA must do one hell of a trick! Mad-

SmokeStack

POGreen, your plants look very nice. My leaves are more circular - your leaves are more elongated. Did you remove the suckers? I see a few suckers in your photo but I thought I would ask. 2 meters is incredibly high in comparison to mine. My Isleta Pueblos were on average about 1 meter high.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I am surprised that Rusticas have not made their way into the mainstream pipe tobacco industry. At least I am not aware of it.

No offense meant but from my experience reading a few pipe smoking forums pipe smokers are big time weenies when it comes to nicotine. I doubt it will ever be used in a commercial variety except maybe by someone that will add .000001% of a Rustica and then use it as an advertising gimmick.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As for your Sacred Cornplanter, how would you describe its aroma? Do you smoke it in cigar form or through a pipe? Also, did you kiln ferment the leaves?
Honestly, I don't care at all for the taste or aroma of the Sacred Cornplanter (or any other rustica that I've tried). I tried it just air cured. I kilned it, then tried it in a pipe. I rolled a Sacred Cornplanter puro cigar. It always has a residual "weedy" smell to me. If I were just taking a few puffs of it from a pipe at a spiritual gathering, it would be okay. To my tastes, it's like a soy hot dog. It resembles actual tobacco, but clearly isn't.

Bob

SmokeStack

No offense meant but from my experience reading a few pipe smoking forums pipe smokers are big time weenies when it comes to nicotine. I doubt it will ever be used in a commercial variety except maybe by someone that will add .000001% of a Rustica and then use it as an advertising gimmick.

No offense taken. When I read reviews of pipe tobacco blends, I come across many stating that the nicotine will "knock you off your feet." However, I have yet to catch a nicotine buzz from smoking pipe tobacco. I believe that by being a heavy cigarette smoker, my tolerance to nicotine is too high to notice its effects.

Wikipedia ("Nicotiana rustica") cited an article by Buchanan, R. (A Short History of Tobacco: the Most Provocative Herb. The Herb Companion, October/November 1994, pp. 34-38.) that "Dried leaves of N. rustica plants can contain up to 9% nicotine, whereas N. tabacum nicotine levels tend to range between 1% to 3%." These numbers seem a little high since the average cigarette has about 1 milligram nicotine in about 1 gram of tobacco, but the author did state "dried leaves." In any case, according to Buchanan, Rusticas are 3 to 9 times more potent than the Nicotiana tabacum varieties. That's a substantial difference.

SmokeStack

Honestly, I don't care at all for the taste or aroma of the Sacred Cornplanter (or any other rustica that I've tried). I tried it just air cured. I kilned it, then tried it in a pipe. I rolled a Sacred Cornplanter puro cigar. It always has a residual "weedy" smell to me. If I were just taking a few puffs of it from a pipe at a spiritual gathering, it would be okay. To my tastes, it's like a soy hot dog. It resembles actual tobacco, but clearly isn't.

Bob

That "weedy" smell is consistent with the "grassy" aroma I get from the Isleta Pueblo. But I remember smoking a commercial Virginia-based blend with hints of this grassy aroma. It seems to diminish with extended aging. I wonder what toasting would yield. It does wonders for Burleys.

Brown Thumb

Just packed a bowl of rustica for chits and giggles. Took a big hit.
Just coughed up two lungs and have a head rush , I think from all the coughing.
Mine has a floral taste with a Woody after taste. I am a heavy cigg smoker and got a nic buzz for shure.
I would never smoke it straight again.

POGreen

POGreen, your plants look very nice. My leaves are more circular - your leaves are more elongated. Did you remove the suckers? I see a few suckers in your photo but I thought I would ask. 2 meters is incredibly high in comparison to mine. My Isleta Pueblos were on average about 1 meter high.

Hi Smokes ,

Naw , I never did sucker them Islas , was much caught up in a Rapture of some kind , used CalciumN in my waterbarrels last year too and had a tremendous exchange of that CN.
Now , when I sort of waken up from the rapture I leave no suckers or buds.
Do u use any manure in yer grow of some kind ?

Status
Not open for further replies.