Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

A new twist on aphids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
My 2013 crop has been hanging from the rafters in a shed since harvest. I just finished boxing it for long term storage and cleaned out the storage space for the coming crop.

I noticed that many of the leaves harvested in late August had significant populations of aphid corpses. Not the earliest harvests, not the Sept harvests. Tiny, they did not appear large enough for adults. I vacuumed them off as best I could.

I had aphids on the live plants in July and early August; eradicated them with soap solution. They were localized mostly on the tender new growth at the tops of the plants. I don't recall seeing any on the bottom 3/4 of the plants. I have had plants covered from top to bottom in years past, suggesting that they start at the succulent top growth and spread downward as populations increase, but better scouting has caught them sooner.

I started priming lower leaves in early August, and continued upward as the leaves ripened, finishing in late Sept last year. I saw no sign of aphids as I harvested. They might have been there and I missed them, but the infested leaves came from the mid levels of the plants, not the tops which had been attacked and cleaned up.

My assumption at this point is that the adults came into the storage shed and laid eggs on the freshly harvested leaves; the buggers hatched and survived until the leaves dried out.

Has anyone else been attacked this way?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Interesting. I've never had a problem with aphids after harvest, but I use Orthene as soon as I see aphids. That stuff pretty much takes care of the complete life cycle of aphids.

I know a lot of people don't like using chemicals on their tobacco, but with a half life of 7 days, Orthene can be helpful and save.

Brown Thumb

I have had hornworms munch on my hanging leaf.
No aphids tho.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen aphids newly colonize the green growth tips of blowdowns (snapped at the ground) that were hung in the shed.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Interesting. I've never had a problem with aphids after harvest, but I use Orthene as soon as I see aphids. That stuff pretty much takes care of the complete life cycle of aphids.

I know a lot of people don't like using chemicals on their tobacco, but with a half life of 7 days, Orthene can be helpful and save.

Orthene, huh? I will have to look into that. I hate aphids. Give me horn worms any day. Aphids suck.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Just remember that Orthene (acephate) is an organo-phosphate nerve poison. I'm sure it kills aphids dead.

Bob

Paint respirator (not a dust mask), long sleeve shirt, and chemical resistant gloves?

Do you spray the leaves or the aphids? If I have to turn up each leaf to spray the aphid itself, usually on the underside of the leaves, I might as well use soapy water.

Brown Thumb

Just remember that Orthene (acephate) is an organo-phosphate nerve poison. I'm sure it kills aphids dead.

Bob
So you are saying to suit up when you use it. By time I am done spraying my patch I have more on me than the plants.

I was about ready to check into it. Soap sounds a little safer ?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It's funny how the mass media perpetuates myths that all man-made chemicals are bad for you. By saturating every breath we take with propaganda, we eventually disregard our own common sense and ultimately buy into the BS.

Federal law prohibits making false statements about things like (especially like) insecticide.

Orthene 97 Spray Insecticide is used for insect pests on trees, ornamentals and turf. Its powerful active ingredient, Acephate, works in two ways. First, Orthene 97 Spray kills insects on contact, then it penetrates plant tissue for local systemic control. No worries about rain or irrigation because plants will absorb this product within 24 hours. This product is safe to be applied without a mask due to low vapor pressure, low oral and dermal toxicity, and volatility. Orthene 97 Spray is for non crop area ant control, sod farms, outdoor and perimeter spray, trees and shrubs, greenhouse and outdoor floral crops, ground covers, and golf courses.

When I calculated the actual physical amount I used based on an acre of tobacco, the amount applied was equal to 2 nanograms (2 parts per BILLION) per pound of finished leaf, which according to the FDA is considered "undetectable". With a half life of 7 days, you can do the math and figure out how much chemical remains after a month (.125 nanograms), after 2 months 0.015 nanograms per pound, after 3 months 0.0000976 nanograms per pound.

The best way for a hobby grower to apply Orthene is in a quart spray bottle and use it on affected areas only.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
From Wiki

Acephate is an organophosphate foliar insecticide of moderate persistence with residual systemic activity of about 10–15 days at the recommended use rate. It is used primarily for control of aphids, including resistant species, in vegetables (e.g. potatoes, carrots, greenhouse tomatoes, and lettuce) and in horticulture (e.g. on roses and greenhouse ornamentals). It also controls leaf miners, caterpillars, sawflies and thrips in the previously stated crops as well as turf, and forestry. By direct application to mounds, it is effective in destroying imported fire ants.

Acephate is sold as a soluble powder, as emulsifiable concentrates, as pressurized aerosol, and in tree injection systems and granular formulations.
[h=2]Toxicology[/h] It is considered non-phytotoxic on many crop plants. Acephate and its primary metabolite, methamidophos, are toxic to Heliothis spp. that are considered resistant to other organophosphate insecticides. Acephate emits toxic fumes of phosphorus, nitrogen, and sulfur oxides when heated to decomposition. Symptoms of exposure to acephate include a slight irritation of eyes and skin.
The U.S. annually uses 4–5 million pounds of acephate. However, even in small quantities, acephate throws off the navigation systems of white-throated sparrows and other songbirds, making them unable to tell north from south.[

BigBonner

Founding Member
Amen

It is also used in transplant water for cut worms .

One more thing I have heard , it works best on bed bugs . They say it is the best stuff to use if you ever get them .
I would not know it is what a lot of people are saying .

Draw back it smells like rotten eggs . Stinks bad .

Matty

My 2013 crop has been hanging from the rafters in a shed since harvest. I just finished boxing it for long term storage and cleaned out the storage space for the coming crop.

I noticed that many of the leaves harvested in late August had significant populations of aphid corpses. Not the earliest harvests, not the Sept harvests. Tiny, they did not appear large enough for adults. I vacuumed them off as best I could.

I had aphids on the live plants in July and early August; eradicated them with soap solution. They were localized mostly on the tender new growth at the tops of the plants. I don't recall seeing any on the bottom 3/4 of the plants. I have had plants covered from top to bottom in years past, suggesting that they start at the succulent top growth and spread downward as populations increase, but better scouting has caught them sooner.

I started priming lower leaves in early August, and continued upward as the leaves ripened, finishing in late Sept last year. I saw no sign of aphids as I harvested. They might have been there and I missed them, but the infested leaves came from the mid levels of the plants, not the tops which had been attacked and cleaned up.

My assumption at this point is that the adults came into the storage shed and laid eggs on the freshly harvested leaves; the buggers hatched and survived until the leaves dried out.

Has anyone else been attacked this way?

Yeah, I had a few aphids brought in on leaf last year. Grew at least 2 generations of them inside maybe up to 4 generations. Tried trapping them with glue traps and such but they would not leave the leaf. They were all dead by December though. Little buggers...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Orthene may be the solution for aphid control during this thunderstorm per evening weather pattern I am in now. How fast acting is it? My soap gets washed off as fast as I can apply it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
allthough ive only got 2 half full grown plants. i have noticed thier is aphids on them.. i may get me some orthene today,,, normally i use soapy water also.

when my small crop gets bigger. im sure ill see them i do every year... i hate the buggers... they are small and fast moving.

BarG

Founding Member
I noticed a situation that may be similar from leaving green leaves piled on a table for about 3 days on my table before hanging. There were quite a few hatched aphids byond the little pupae stage but not quite mature. I rinsed them off before hanging. They liked infesting my new growth first also and I sprayed them with diluted soapy water with enough force to also rinse them off. The inital eggs are like little white specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.