Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Swedish Snus and the GothiaTek Standard

PO - how long are you cooking the snus at 100ÂșC for? What method do you use to get this constant temperature? Is it in the oven?

Squeez - I'm treatn it for a hole week around the clock or 24/7.
    My oven turned out to stay constant to the degs I turned it to , used a steaktherometer to check. I try to use 100 C + to kill all the microbes.
    Take out the batch once a day to stir and get a gut feelin on wether I should add more water or not.Good things take time.
    Storing the batch is to my understanding a very impotant issue as well , that is why I've made so much of it. Its just gettin better with/by time.I try to store the snus for at least 2 weeks , then start using it.
    But it has to be givin the full treatment in the oven first.
    I choose not to use anything else than backerflour , water , salt and potash to make a pure/nice/good snus. ( Potash AFTER heattreatment) 15grams to 500 gr of flour
    If I was to use essences or aromatic oils with this or that taste/flavour , I think I'll destroy the whole batch.
    Thats the way I roll , and I like it very much and hate the fabricated snus 'cause I think its just big buisness.
    Check out the EU , they subsidize the European Tobacco Growers with over 1 Billion Pounds every year , for what and where does that tobacco end up ? Who buys that stuff ?
    Think I have an idea where it ends up , but I wount say that here.

I agree with you PO on not adding any essential oils ... most of my experiments with oils spoil the natural taste of the tobacco. I do normally put a little powdered liquorice in my recipes for a little sweetness. And I have good natural tasting results using whisky or brandy instead of water ... it makes the snus very rich - but you can still taste the tobacco through the alcohol.

Cheers

Squeezy

Got your point there Squeez.
    Might try that sometime , Lagavulin perhaps ?
    They used to add the spirits/liquors after the heatprocess together with the potash ( 1849 recipe ) available at http://www.tobaksochtandsticksmuseum.se/en/.
    But you have to visit the Library , I am trying to send a guy there to find out some more and he might go there later this summer. He's busy with his grow , kids , farm and Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by POGreen View Post
    Got your point there Squeez.
    Might try that sometime , Lagavulin perhaps ?
    It will certainly kill off the microbes!!

They're already dead , now they will be doubledead or twice as dead.

In a pressure cooker? If so how long do you cook it?

Super Moderator

I'll chime in here, I pressure cook it. 4 hours with salt, flour and water, mix in alkaloid, 1 additional hour and let it cool down gradually on the stove. When cold next day I add a bit liquorice and vegetable glycerine and let it age with a paper towel held in place by the ring. I use more water in the cook t than is the norm so it dries up and off gasses at the same time. Ready in 2 weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12