Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Priming

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I have a solid block of CT shade leaves just out of the kiln. It is about 14 x 14 x 2 " and bone dry. These are the best of what little I got from this years crop. How do I get moisture back into the block without breaking the leaves? They will be binder and wrapper for the next batch of cigars,

Thanks.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I do it 2 ways. You can put them back in your kiln, turn on your moisture system but leave off the heat. Let the leaves soak up some moisture that way. Or, spritz them with water and seal in a plastic box or bag for a day.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
John,
My leaf is kilned within 1 quart Zip lock bags (left open). When they come out, they are moist and warm. Even if immediately sealed, by the following morning they tend to be much too dry to safely handle. I keep these "over-sized wallet" sized books of leaf in their closed Zip locks near where I make my coffee each morning (hot water poured into a filter cone). When my tea kettle starts to whistle, I open the Zip locks, one by one, and hold them over the jet of steam for a bit, then re-seal. Sometimes it takes a single steaming to bring the leaf into case. Those "wallets" that are closer to an inch thick may require daily steaming for a week to get there. I try to have the book of leaf feel like Morocco leather (medium case) when I'm done.

I just take my time, and wait for them to be ready for use. Since the flavor and aroma of kilned leaf needs to stabilize out of the kiln for at least a week, I don't regard the delay as an issue. There is some bitter constituent--that I haven't identified--that seems to accumulate within the leaf during the kilning process, and which dissipates during the week of rest--even with the bag closed. I'm always surprised with how much better the leaf is after resting.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks guys. Sorry about calling it "priming when I meant casing. Brain fart.
It's starting to soften up now. I used a BIG zip loc bag and put two wet sponges in also. No visible moisture but the block is starting to soften.

Somebody promised me some ytb seed and I have forgotten who. If you're out there please remind me' Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.