Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

AZDave's 1st grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Putt Cigars

Good job AZDave. I just posted the following on my grow blog but I'm posting it here for your sake also, it might be good info. for all of us in Phoenix:

QUOTE - "I'm just finding out that 104 f. and hotter on a daily basis is wilting even my largest plants, and that's with filling the pails to the brim & spraying the plants down every day with a garden hose. I have lost some more leaves to wilt & am in the process of relocating the pails to partial shade! For me, regular temps. of 104 f. with no humidity is the MAXIMUM tobacco can stand in direct sun light! If anyone else has grown in hotter temps. I would be interested in hearing about the process."

Keep up the good fight Dave.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Good job AZDave. I just posted the following on my grow blog but I'm posting it here for your sake also, it might be good info. for all of us in Phoenix:

QUOTE - "I'm just finding out that 104 f. and hotter on a daily basis is wilting even my largest plants, and that's with filling the pails to the brim & spraying the plants down every day with a garden hose. I have lost some more leaves to wilt & am in the process of relocating the pails to partial shade! For me, regular temps. of 104 f. with no humidity is the MAXIMUM tobacco can stand in direct sun light! If anyone else has grown in hotter temps. I would be interested in hearing about the process."

Keep up the good fight Dave.

What part of the day are you wetting the leaf down with the water hose? If you are wetting them in the heat of the day, you may be losing leaf to sun scald, rather than wilt. My leaf wilts during the day and stands back up at night, that is normal. (I'm not dealing with your temps on a consistent basis though) If you must wet your leaf, do so in early morning or late evening and while the plants are shaded from the sun.

ArizonaDave

What part of the day are you wetting the leaf down with the water hose? If you are wetting them in the heat of the day, you may be losing leaf to sun scald, rather than wilt. My leaf wilts during the day and stands back up at night, that is normal. (I'm not dealing with your temps on a consistent basis though) If you must wet your leaf, do so in early morning or late evening and while the plants are shaded from the sun.

Thank all of you for the informative posts! I lost my first plant in morning sun due to doing this very thing.

Right now, I'm doing my best growing them inside under full spectrum lights, and praying for a fall plant! They are coming along! I'll post pics soon!

Old Putt Cigars

I do ALL of the watering after the sun is off. My back yard is a mountain to the west and the sun goes down early, leaving lots of daylight time. I grew up in SC and know your climate. It's normally humid even when hot. Here it's different for Dave & I. July is 105 f. (& up to 113 f. so far) every day and very dry almost all of the time. Even during the monsoon season, which is just starting (a little early this year) it rains in the evening but as soon as the sun comes up in the morning, it burns that air moisture off very quickly and goes back to zero humidity and 105-113 f. for the rest of the day. It's a tough nut!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You are right, it's very humid here. You have some tough conditions there. Best of luck to all you desert dwellers.

ArizonaDave

Here's an update everyone. This is only "Half" of my grow. As you see, many of these in the multiple per cup, are due to be transplanted into individual cups or the next size container. Going to Costco sometime soon to buy some more dirt. The individual (one in a cup) have already been transplanted from the multiple per cup.
The VA gold and Black Mammoth are taking off nicely, followed by (the top right cup) Ergo Burley. Those need to be separated soon, or they'll choke each other out.
I also have other cups in the windowsill, and rotate them with the ones here in artificial light. I may have to go out and get a better light array, because they keep multiplying!!!

100_5325.jpg100_5327.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've had good results the past two years with two foot undercabinet florescent light fixtures from Lowe's. $8.00 ea. and they come with the bulb. I've tried swapping out the standard bulb for the ones advertised as plant/aquarium bulbs and could see absolutely no difference in the plants. Since then, I've just stuck with the bulb that comes in the fixture and saved some money.

Your seedlings appear healthy and don't look leggy like they are reaching up for more light. Good job!

ArizonaDave

I've had good results the past two years with two foot undercabinet florescent light fixtures from Lowe's. $8.00 ea. and they come with the bulb. I've tried swapping out the standard bulb for the ones advertised as plant/aquarium bulbs and could see absolutely no difference in the plants. Since then, I've just stuck with the bulb that comes in the fixture and saved some money.

Your seedlings appear healthy and don't look leggy like they are reaching up for more light. Good job!

Thank you Knucklehead on both the Lowe's pointer, and the fact the plants are looking good. They're nice and green. Didn't want to touch up the pic, because it makes the file too big to upload.

They're currently under a low wattage "All Spectrum" bulbs. I had them here as a back up anyway, but I really did want to get a couple Lowe's under cabinet florescent lights. I'll probably get a couple/few this week, it's on my Wife's "to do" list as places we need to go anyway.

Thank you!!!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Here's my set up. I use three single bulb 24" under cabinet fixtures per two tray set up. I have a double propagation mat under each pair of trays. I used hickory 1x6's that I had laying around the shop to make the light stands. I've been meaning to cut steps in the uprights so I can move the lights up and down but so far no leggy plants or space problems.

attachment.php

ArizonaDave

Here's my set up. I use three single bulb 24" under cabinet fixtures per two tray set up. I have a double propagation mat under each pair of trays. I used hickory 1x6's that I had laying around the shop to make the light stands. I've been meaning to cut steps in the uprights so I can move the lights up and down but so far no leggy plants or space problems.

Man, Knucklehead! I like what you've done........now it's giving me CrAzY ideas!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Man, Knucklehead! I like what you've done........now it's giving me CrAzY ideas!

Nothing is holding the lights, each end is just sitting on the top edge of the 1x6. The trays slide right out from under them so I can take them to another table for thinning out the seedlings or hair cuts when leaf gets too big. They are in my basement so the propagation mats raise temps an advertised 10F over ambient so that gets the dirt good and warm and I'm not spending the money to raise the entire basement temperature. Timers control the lights but not the heat mats, I leave the mats on 24/7 until they are ready to go outside for hardening. The stands are 2' long. The trays are 1020 trays, so 10" x 20". The center stand uses three boards in a kind of U, the outside stands use two boards in an L.

ArizonaDave

Nothing is holding the lights, each end is just sitting on the top edge of the 1x6. The trays slide right out from under them so I can take them to another table for thinning out the seedlings or hair cuts when leaf gets too big. They are in my basement so the propagation mats raise temps an advertised 10F over ambient so that gets the dirt good and warm and I'm not spending the money to raise the entire basement temperature. Timers control the lights but not the heat mats, I leave the mats on 24/7 until they are ready to go outside for hardening. The stands are 2' long. The trays are 1020 trays, so 10" x 20". The center stand uses three boards in a kind of U, the outside stands use two boards in an L.

That actually looks very doable. I will definitely consider this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.