Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Phoenix, AZ Grow Blog - 1st Try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Putt Cigars

Is that a Webley? Nice revolver. I'll trade you a genuine Barlow knife and some tobacco for it.

It's my Confederate Cavalry LeMat & it's a barrel of fun!

Descriptive Quote:

"The LeMat was developed by Dr. (Col.) Jean Alexandre Francois LeMat of New Orleans with the assistance of P. G. T. Beauregard, who later became one of the Confederacy's best-known generals.

The gun had a .42-caliber upper barrel fed by a nine-round cylinder and a lower .63-caliber (approximately 16-gauge) smoothbore barrel that was loaded with buckshot. The shooter selected which barrel would fire by rotating a pivoting striker on the hammer.

The ability to fire nine round balls and a blast of buckshot made it a devastating weapon, earning it the nickname "the grapeshot revolver." In addition to Beauregard, J.E.B. Stuart, Richard (Bloody Bill) Anderson and Braxton Bragg were among the Confederate generals who favored the LeMat."

Old Putt Cigars

Third Priming (100 + leaves). That’s 450-500 total.
I think my Arizona leaves are smaller than other places. But heck, I didn't even think I could grow tobacco in Phoenix so I'm giddy!

Best to Worst in my Phoenix Bucket Grow.

1. African Red – 50 Leaves Plus
2. Hickory Prior – 45 - 50 Plus
3. Southern Beauty – 45-50
4. BBS Turkish – 50 Plus Small
5. Orinoco – 25
6. Hopi Rustica – 30 Maybe & Small

Temps hovering around 100. Back to one watering per day for now. New sucker plants doing well.

8-24-14 Aa.jpg8-24-14 Da.jpg8-24-14 Ea.jpg8-24-14 Ba.jpg8-24-14 Ca.jpgSuckers.jpg

DGBAMA

Good stuff.

I wonder if white buckets would make happier plants (cooler roots) and less watering?

Old Putt Cigars

Good stuff.

I wonder if white buckets would make happier plants (cooler roots) and less watering?

I think you're probably right about color. I used black, only because I already had it and it was "Krylon, formulated for plastic" (about $7 a can). I think it was necessary to paint them with something because the Home Depot "Homer Buckets" are not heavy duty, food grade and are translucent when held up to the sun - I even painted the white ones while at it. Same was true about the yellow "SUN chlorine tab" pails. Before I painted them, the plants were yellowish and not doing well when it started to get really hot and the sun really intense. I hate to keep harping about this Phoenix Sun, but if you hold anything up to the sun in summer and look through it, other than steel, its translucent! The root systems do not do well if light can get to them, I think.

The painted pails and fertilizing that "Pre-Fertilized" potting soil really started them taking off. BTW, do not try picking up steel in the summer, in Phoenix, that was rhetorical!

I wish I could make some kind of joke here that para-phrases Chief Dan George: "There Not for Eat'in, There Just for Look'in Through". Was that not the greatest movie line ever?

CDG.jpg

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
You can wrap burlap around them also. When they are wet, they will cool down some along with the shade already over the ugly buckets. It's hard to make a plastic bucket look good.

ArizonaDave

I think you're probably right about color. I used black, only because I already had it and it was "Krylon, formulated for plastic" (about $7 a can). I think it was necessary to paint them with something because the Home Depot "Homer Buckets" are not heavy duty, food grade and are translucent when held up to the sun - I even painted the white ones while at it. Same was true about the yellow "SUN chlorine tab" pails. Before I painted them, the plants were yellowish and not doing well when it started to get really hot and the sun really intense. I hate to keep harping about this Phoenix Sun, but if you hold anything up to the sun in summer and look through it, other than steel, its translucent! The root systems do not do well if light can get to them, I think.

The painted pails and fertilizing that "Pre-Fertilized" potting soil really started them taking off. BTW, do not try picking up steel in the summer, in Phoenix, that was rhetorical!

I wish I could make some kind of joke here that para-phrases Chief Dan George: "There Not for Eat'in, There Just for Look'in Through". Was that not the greatest movie line ever?

View attachment 12861

Yes, the sun here is really intense! I've had to play around with placement, and the best place only gets 2 hours a day of sun, but they're doing well. Yes, I'm doing a fall grow, but wondering if a winter grow would be best? I know I'm starting my spring grow EARLY, and planting in the ground early.
I love the old Clint Eastwood movies!

I'm thinking with all the new suckers, your current plants will last through part of the winter!

Old Putt Cigars

AZ Dave,

The sucker plants are growing now that it's under 100f consistently but the weather change (I think) is telling them to bloom and ripen NOW. They ARE blooming. All new growth is a new set of blooms and I just keep topping them out, so vertical growth is slow. The new plants are skinnier and the leaves are smaller. That may change when I finally cut the old stalk. I intend to cut them down to about 4' and use them for stakes for the new plants. Well, that's where things are now and I'll post a couple of pics.

10-5-14 a.jpg10-5-14 b.jpg10-5-14- c.jpg

ArizonaDave

AZ Dave,

The sucker plants are growing now that it's under 100f consistently but the weather change (I think) is telling them to bloom and ripen NOW. They ARE blooming. All new growth is a new set of blooms and I just keep topping them out, so vertical growth is slow. The new plants are skinnier and the leaves are smaller. That may change when I finally cut the old stalk. I intend to cut them down to about 4' and use them for stakes for the new plants. Well, that's where things are now and I'll post a couple of pics.

View attachment 13269View attachment 13270View attachment 13271

Looking real good there. It will be interesting to see what your total yield is, especially after all the suckers after your first harvest. I bet you almost hate to cut them down when they're growing.

Aphids are a little problem over here, thinking about using something stronger in the spring. Have had a couple of grasshoppers I killed right away, so minimal damage there.

My plants are about the same, but my varieties are a little shorter/fatter.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be curious to see how using tobacco stalks as stakes works out. While still green, they are capable of putting out roots. When dried, they are not very sturdy.

Bob

Old Putt Cigars

Yes, I have tried using the dead stalk - worthless! When the stalk dies, the roots rot right up to the base, so no support at all (they'll fall over almost on their own). I'm going to try to keep the stalk alive by allowing a few, very small, active suckers near the top to encourage the stalk to stay alive. This seems like reasonable theory to me, but in practice I may be sorely disappointed. If anyone has tried it, I'd like to hear.

Cigar

Glad to be watching your grow this year Old Putt Cigars..the reason is next year I will hopefully be growing my tobacco in buckets also..due to lack of ground/space..so its great thing to watch and learn how to grow this way..good-luck on rest of grow!!

Cigar

Old Putt Cigars

Glad to be watching your grow this year Old Putt Cigars..the reason is next year I will hopefully be growing my tobacco in buckets also..due to lack of ground/space..so its great thing to watch and learn how to grow this way..good-luck on rest of grow!!

Cigar

Cigar,
Thanks for looking. This is my first year but I'll help in any way I can. Good luck with your upcoming grow project.
OPC

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Nice job on the sucker crop. I am dumping all of My buckets this year. Going to fill with fresh everything. Looks like You used the velcro tape on them. I use it on every thing. Cheap and re usable. I use it to hang the tied leaf in the kiln also. I just slip it over each end without harming the leaf. Mad

ArizonaDave

I'll be curious to see how using tobacco stalks as stakes works out. While still green, they are capable of putting out roots. When dried, they are not very sturdy.

Bob

Yes, but everything dries "fast" in Arizona! Things that wouldn't back east. People hang roses out here upside down, and they're preserved in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.