Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Florida Newbie: Planning Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunning

Well, the seeds have not even arrived but I thought I'd start my own grow blog by setting out my thoughts, goals and intentions. If it's a bit premature and longwinded feel free to skip by it, but if you have any thoughts or comments, I'd love to hear them.

Who: I'm a Central Florida amateur gardener who likes planting exotic and productive things around an average-size residential yard. I have a vegetable garden (with Anaheim chilis, sweet potatoes, collards and okra in it during the summer) and am growing some future trees in pots including kaffir lime, curry leaf, tamarind, cocoa. I have some standard herbs on the sides and in some pots (basil, thyme, rosemary). It was really this inclination to grow interesting things that lead me to look at getting a few tobacco plants growing. That and the fact that I do smoke a pipe a bit off and on (though not for a while until recently).

What: Per a suggestion from the group I ordered some seeds from http://northwoodseeds.com/, choosing the Pipe Blend containing 401 Cherry Red, Burley 21 and Black Sea Samson seeds. I've also ordered the Thuoc Lao seeds now renowned from the http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3986-Thuoc-Lao-seeds thread. This is far too many seeds for the space I have and I'll slowly thin down to perhaps 2-3 of each to put around the yard. I'm thinking two to put in different locations and see them grow, with the vague and perhaps unrealistic goal of pulling them out and curing them somehow, someday (a project to consider later). Then one of each to see if I can keep it as an perennial--having learned that they are in fact basically a perennial Caribbean plant hijacked for other purposes and locations.

Where: I plan to vary the locations since surviving the Florida summer is no easy task. A few in pots, under shade, in the sun, a few planted in the garden or in the yard or on the side with some surrounding compost. I'll add a tobacco album of pictures to my Facebook page with my amateur garden adventures here: https://www.facebook.com/piercefarmstead.

When: Admittedly I'm late to the party for this growing "season" (which presumes that they are annuals but is almost certainly a correct judgment based on wisdom and experience). Still, the main and overarching goal is just to do this from seed and see them grow, so it will begin whenever I get the seeds--likely next weekend in the hot, hot Florida July.

Why: I like planting productive things, I like watching them grow, I get some exercise from it, I am a little bit anti-big business, and a good bit anti-big government. I like to smoke my pipe and want to know more about this mysterious, tempting, confounding, controversial plant.

Thanks for listening!

Dunning

POGreen

Welcome to Fair Trade Tobacco Dunning !

You couldn't have come to a better place is what I figure.
Is probably the best backerforum in the whole wide world.
Nice to have you onboard.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure you will enjoy the experience. Yes, tobacco grows as a perennial plant (originated from the eastern slopes of the Andes). The problem with continuous growing of the plant as a perennial, at least for me, has been that Nicotiana tabacum is a pest magnet (alkaloids notwithstanding). Each successive year of growing dramatically increases the pest burden on the plant as well as in the surrounding soil. It will be fun to manage.

Bob

DGBAMA

Welcome.

Two staples of pipe blends, perique and Cavendish can be produced at home, Further expanding your choice of flavors, even growing just those few varieties.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you havent stated what city in florida your in..????

if your in south florida. you may not have to worry about the winter, and grow your plants well into december.

i know in my area. we can go as far as thanksgiving some times until the cold gets plant damaging temperatures.

my own personal crop right now is on ly 2'' tall and if youve looked at some grow logs. others plants are very tall right now. showing how late i was this year....

...allthough ill crop just fine.. i am starting extremelly late..

but if you plan on growing them in containers. you may be able to finish them under lights if need be..

ive spun the idea of growing some veggies this year. in my grow room... tomatoes in the middle of january,???

Dunning

> if your in south florida. you may not have to worry about the winter, and grow your plants well into december.

I'm in Central Florida, Zone 9B so closer to south Florida conditions than those up north.

> i know in my area. we can go as far as thanksgiving some times until the cold gets plant damaging temperatures

When would be the perfect time for you to plant in Northern Florida, out of curiosity.

> ive spun the idea of growing some veggies this year. in my grow room... tomatoes in the middle of january,???

One thing I've learned is that if the night temperature in Florida gets over 70F the tomatoes just stall out, so summer doesn't work. Spring and Fall do. Winter might, if you can warm the January weather up just a touch.

Hope everyone had a happy 4th!

Dunning

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well when i plant. is..

i start my seeds under lights around the beginning of feb.... and try to plant them around april.

but this year. i was driving long distance in the semi at that time. and couldnt do them properlly.

Dunning

I've looked at some of the grow blogs (like tryals15 and chicken's) and am a bit ashamed at the scope of my plans lol. For this short season, anyhow, I will be relying on the humidity of a controlled environment I like to call my "patio" and indirect lighting from an old grow light I keep around which I like to call the "Sun". They will then be planted around in different spots where I can put them, with hopes that a few will do fine.

I'll keep half of the seeds (in the fridge?) though in case I get more elaborate next season, and I will blog my low-maintenance efforts nonetheless :). I've added Aztec Rustica to the mix of what I'm going to grow, it seems, so it will be interesting! Maybe I can stick those in the front as an ornamental lol.

Dunning

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Keep the seeds dry. The temp doesn't matter too much for seed storage.

Commercial tobacco growers put in hundreds of acres. Botanists put in "specimens." Each of us in between--who may want to smoke what we grow--plants what works for us.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.