Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Attempt to make Perique for snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

POGreen

Dang , I have been lying again......:eek:
Gave myself a hole new sort of kebabpizza ( 4 slices in my world ) + sallad and an icecold coke.

POGreen

A 16-day update on my attempt to make my own kinda perique , loosened the clamp an had a smell of the interior and that was Jummy.
Fruity , sweet and addictive :D

POGreen

Got my 16 oz of St. James Parrish Ribbon Cut Perique today and now I'll dry it in roomtemperature for some time is the idea , just hope it'll work out.
Then grind it and make Periquesnus of it ;)

DGBAMA

Maybe put back a couple ounces to keep for comparison to your own, before turning the rest into snuss.

POGreen

Did used to smoke pipe early in my career too , started when I was around 10 yo , went down to a supermarket in town ( lived outside Halmstad when I was young ) .
We , my brother and a neighbor said we was gonna buy a pipe and asked the lady behind the counter if we could see the different pipes they had.
At an unattended moment , when she had a new costumer , we actually pinched the pipe we wanted !
Remember we were dizzy miss lizzy when we inhaled that smoke deep , almost feelin a bit sick.... ;)

istanbulin

Founding Member
Have you ever tried to make snus from Perique before or is this the first time ? With the higher alkalinity it may release nicotine better.

I tried to make Perique this year but it turned into a "tobacco pickle". I was expecting a higher pH but instead I got lactic acid fermentation of the tobacco leaves so pH is lower, acidic. Probably because of oxygen dificiency. I guess Perique process is not totally anaerobic, needs some oxygen. Some "pickled" leaves are dried and I'm not very inclined to try them. Any ideas ?

BTW, what's that kebabpizza ? A Turco-Italian fusion or just lahmacun?

Last edited:

POGreen

This is my first two attempts istanbulin , one that I make with Don's Virginia Red Leaf and second Ribbon cut Perique from 4noggins.com.
I have no expectations what so ever , but ofcourse I hope it turns out to be useable and wouldn't mind if it had a nice taste to it aswell.
Thinkin of growing Perique next year , perhaps I wont do the process , I don't know yet , we'll see.....
Yeah , 324 million pizza's is baked up here in Sweden each year and there is a few varieties of them.
I like the Gyros kebab best cause its more juicy and fat .Beefkebab or from donkey I don't know is not at all as tasty as gyros if u ask me.
Some pizzerias even make a pizza with french fries on'em , I have never tried that and don't think I will either......
The one I have on the picture is a Capricosa , topped with bacon and it is just soooo good.
No , I have no ideas , that process is too complicated for me to comment on , Bob would surley know or BigBonner. :)
We have a great deal of people that has migrated here 'cause of war and other stuff too and they are mostly the one's who run the pizzerias.
People from Irak , Iran , Lebanon , Syria , former Jugoslavia just to mention a few nationalities.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I know people eating horse meat but never heard of donkey meat. Actually they're close relatives.

ArizonaDave

I know people eating horse meat but never heard of donkey meat. Actually they're close relatives.

Yes, they are. They can mate, and produce offspring (mule), but I wouldn't recommend that. In north western Nevada, they roam wild. Also the BLM up there has auctions where one can reclaim a horse (mustang) or a donkey. Wouldn't want to own either in Arizona. It's almost cruel to have any animal out in the heat here.

POGreen

It took me 1 month and 10 for me to extract the leaves from my Periquepress , had a quick flash up on the office and got to work.
Think I first had a glance in Bob's thread and got motivated and got on with it.
The torquettes was easier than I thought to open up since they where rolled from the very beginning.
When thinkin about the leaves inside the jar I couldn't remember if I destemmed them or not , but ofcourse I did when opening them :D
The juice that was left ( a mixture of Perique Liqour and water ) will go back into the jar + maybe some more of either one liquid.
Will just have them up for an h or 2 to vent them a bit....
Think them leaves had a very nice colour and they did smell fruityprunish especially when I opened the press.
On the pic you see about half the amount of leaves I have in the '' press ''

POGreen

We'll see istanbulin , I might do a 3 month adventure like Bob did or I might continue , have not decided yet.
On the other hand , I have enough tobacco and ready made snus so I can just as well just go on.
Will probably take a week to dry that St James Perique I got from 4noggins , so I guess it'll be in the owen already next week.
Running out of Dark Air Cured ( WLT) snus soon but started a batch of 800 grams ( dry weight) this Monday or Tues

Correction again , On my above post it should have been : 1 month and 10 days

POGreen

I actually dipped the leaves in a a dish before I rolled them into torquettes once again , might be wrong or too much fluid , time will tell

Come about halfway here

Very close

Status
Not open for further replies.