Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Attempt to make Perique for snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

POGreen

Midrib to be used in a batch makin snus some other time
Jar , Perique Liqour and plugs
15 Bucks clamp
For starters I rolled leaves around a pen , found out that I didn't need that pen......
Don't know if mine are the real sort of torquettes , but at least I try to make'em into just that.
Jar and moisted backer
In action
The best way to make a mistake is not to try.Mite be a bit too much liquid/liqour but better that than none at all...........:D
Been lookin at Bob's thread , http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/29-Perique and try to something similar to that the best I can.

POGreen

Could be a whole lot of fun if this works out fine , will know more later on.
Wish I had the real Perique tobacco to do this process with , but I don't so have to keep house with Virginia Red Leaf.
The white spots on the backer ain't no mold , its just minerals coming up to the surface. I read that at http://wholeleaftobacco.com/main.sc .
There's a 3'' PVC-plug in the bottom of that jar.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Flue-cured tobacco is generally deficient in its primary oxidase enzyme (from the flue-curing heat), but I don't know if that even plays a role in the Perique process. Another issue is the use of "liquor". If you are adding an ethanol-containing liquid--as opposed to water, it may inhibit any microbial processes.

As for plant variety, you can make Perique perfectly well from any variety. But starting with color-cured leaf is what I would recommend, and using only water.

Bob

POGreen

Let's see what happens , I do thank you very much for your professional opinion Bob.
Don't you think I'll kill any eventual microbe in the heatprocess when I make snus at 220 degrees ?

DGBAMA

Let's see what happens , I do thank you very much for your professional opinion Bob.
Don't you think I'll kill any eventual microbe in the heatprocess when I make snus at 220 degrees ?
You will kill the microbes when cooking the perique for snuss, however the process of making the perique depends on them.

POGreen

I'm prepared to take what ever is comin out of this process , or as I call it attempt.
If it turns out bad or not useably , so be it , as long as I know I tried and had fun doin' it that good enough for me.
Might do it differently next time , we'll see.

Brown Thumb

I'm prepared to take what ever is comin out of this process , or as I call it attempt.
If it turns out bad or not useably , so be it , as long as I know I tried and had fun doin' it that good enough for me.
Might do it differently next time , we'll see.
I am with you on that, throwing it away prematurely would be alcohol Abuse. You got to give it a try. Might be a new invention.
BT

DGBAMA

If you have enough leaf, try a Side-by-side. The one you have going, and one using plain water. See which comes out better.

Brown Thumb

I meant the Baccy, at least let the alcohol do its job.
Bt

Desertpipe

I think you will end up with a decent aromatic pipe tobacco base. Use of alcohol, in my experience, stops all aging of tobacco. Aging (and the production of Perique)depends on active cultures to produce the change you are looking for, and what you are doing will simply flavor the leaf. I use different flavored alcohol to produce pipe tobacco all the time, and know the outcome well.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I think you will end up with a decent aromatic pipe tobacco base. Use of alcohol, in my experience, stops all aging of tobacco. Aging (and the production of Perique)depends on active cultures to produce the change you are looking for, and what you are doing will simply flavor the leaf. I use different flavored alcohol to produce pipe tobacco all the time, and know the outcome well.
I agree with desertpipe on this. I use liquer on Cavendish after the cook for the flavor as well as the flash cold canning with such. Charred oak is a plus.

POGreen

Nothing is being thrown away prematurely an I wount drink that excess liqour.....
Just drank on very special occasions sort of sayin............:cool:

POGreen

If you have enough leaf, try a Side-by-side. The one you have going, and one using plain water. See which comes out better.

Good idea DG , or I might have some real Perique ordered for me from the US and make batch a of that. 16 oz

SmokeStack

Good idea DG , or I might have some real Perique ordered for me from the US and make batch a of that. 16 oz

POGreen,

I tried making Perique using a dark air variety KY 160 LC. I did not kiln ferment the tobacco. I de-stemmed the leaves (total one pound de-stemmed) and misted the leaves with a minimum amount of distilled water. I folded the leaves tightly and placed them in a plastic ziplock bag. I placed the plastic bag with the moistened leaves in a small press that I bought online. I applied a hell of a lot of pressure with all my might. The plastic bag hanging outside the press formed a balloon filled with a dark, viscous liquid. I started pressing in February 2013 and then removed the resulting brick from the press in February 2014. The brick was black and solid as a rock. I did not rearrange the leaves during the process however. I have not smoked it yet - maybe tonight would be a good time to do so. I will post a picture of the pressed tobacco brick this evening along with a report of how it smokes.

Note: I always use distilled water instead of chlorinated tap water in fear that the chlorine in tap water might destroy microbes or essential biological molecules. That's why chlorine is put in tap water in the first place.

POGreen

Very interesting to hear how you did your attempt Smokes.
You'll could have a very exciting gift in that yar coming to u.

My attempt is gettin darker by the hour.
Sometime in August I will have 16 Oz of St James Parrish Perique in my mailbox.
I'll make snus with it as I do with all the other backer , will surely be too strong by itself after what I've read.
If too strong I'll just make a blend with the other snuses I have , no worries.
Just had a Latakiasnus in in under my upper lip that is not blended , kinda saying its straight and will now when I'm strenghten ride out to check on my plants in the pouring rain.
That is an experience too.
I treat myself with 2 slices of pizza an a coke ( icecold ) when I get back from the patch , somethin to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.