Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Never thought the ban made any sense. The CFL's have mercury in them. Every year there are millions of these things thrown away, with no provision as to what do with the mercury!.. yet incandescent bulbs are bad????

ThomM

Never thought the ban made any sense. The CFL's have mercury in them. Every year there are millions of these things thrown away, with no provision as to what do with the mercury!.. yet incandescent bulbs are bad????

And you hear nothing about LED lighting.
CFL's use more electricity then regular bulbs on startup and really don't save that much unless you leave them on 24/7 and even then you're not really saving anything.
LED's use less electricity to start and to use, they also last longer then both reg. and CFL bulbs, and there is no Mercury in them.

Lakota

Founding Member
I use solar panels and wind turbines with an amp meter setup on a 24 volt battery bank. I have tested the start up draw on cfl's and I have never noticed an extra draw on power. What i have seen is a big saving on amps used on cfl's. A 60 watt regular bulb pulls 2.5 amps per hour. A 13 watt cfl pulls .3 amps per hour, with no start up surge that I can see. I use all cfl's in my house, turn all light out when not in a room. The link below is helpful on the power myths

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cfl.htmlwer

Russ

ThomM

I use solar panels and wind turbines with an amp meter setup on a 24 volt battery bank. I have tested the start up draw on cfl's and I have never noticed an extra draw on power. What i have seen is a big saving on amps used on cfl's. A 60 watt regular bulb pulls 2.5 amps per hour. A 13 watt cfl pulls .3 amps per hour, with no start up surge that I can see. I use all cfl's in my house, turn all light out when not in a room. The link below is helpful on the power myths

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cfl.htmlwer

Russ
Thanks for that Russ.
I switched to all CFL's myself last year and haven't noticed any difference in my electric bill at all.
When I read the article that was talking about CFL's using more electricity at start up, I figured that was why.
The other option may be I just don't use my lights enough to make a difference.
I'm still thinking about trying LED's though.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
incandescent lights are great for winter if you put them in the room you are in for a while and close the door. Space heater and light in one. I run all flouros in the house tho, I figure to hell with the greenies and their agenda tho, we aren't creating mercury from thin air, merely relocating it.

Boboro

EVERY body wants to do the right thing. I think greeneweenys are politacil LIES and bull sh22T ARE THIR SCIENCE.

Status
Not open for further replies.