Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"Amarelinho" Twist/Rope Tobacco (variety)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked leaf tips they are the same on more mature plants not on the little ones yet
So the peculiar leaf tip is apparently a characteristic of the variety. Although "Amarellinha" (PI 119822) literally translates to "Little Yellow," it is clearly a completely different plant from the American "Little Yellow" (PI 551289 ), which is classed as a dark air type.

Bob

forumdotabaco

Amarelinho/a is the term Brazilians use to describe bright leaf strains, when they say Amarelinha they dont want to say little yellow but "folha amarelinha"
which means bright leaf

istanbulin

Founding Member
I just checked leaf tips they are the same on more mature plants not on the little ones yet

So the peculiar leaf tip is apparently a characteristic of the variety. Although "Amarellinha" (PI 119822) literally translates to "Little Yellow," it is clearly a completely different plant from the American "Little Yellow" (PI 551289 ), which is classed as a dark air type.

Bob

Now we're sure about the characteristic mucronate leaf apice of this variety. I've never seen anything like this on a tobacco variety before.

istanbulin

Founding Member
After a week, lugs air cured to a bright yellow. I don't think upper leaves can do this but we'll see.

Adsız.jpg

istanbulin

Founding Member
Here's my empirical way of making "rope" tobacco by using colour cured Amarelinho leaves. It's kind of small but tight as much as possible (~60 g). After 3.5 weeks it turned a little bit darker. A lot of way to go black if it can.

twis.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If you twist the rope over the leaf you can get it much tighter and it darkens real quick

squeezyjohn

Looks nice & neat! I think the stuff in the videos goes dark-brown/black because it is twisted while still green. From my experiments with high pressure twist and carrotte forms - the juicer it is when you twist/compress it - the darker it goes. I expect it is the juice which gives the change in taste like the process that happens in making real perique.

squeezyjohn

I'm thinking that too forumdotobaco ... I looked at the rope I made to copy this technique and thought ... "that has to be put in a dry hot place otherwise it is a mould trap!"

istanbulin

Founding Member
After a little less than 3 months the "rope" turned out more darker but still reddish in color.

1.jpg

And some parts of it got mold but the inner side (crossection) looks clean. Even I tried to keep it as dry as possible it became moldy.

2.jpg

After cutting away the moldy parts here's some of fresh-cut tobacco .

3.jpg

istanbulin

Founding Member
I sampled it straight. It didn't smoke as sweet as brightleaf Amarelinho but the taste developed a little bit. It still bites the tongue so I think it's not worth to wait three months.
I prefer the brightleaf in a pipe blend, I smoked it as soon as it dried out and it was sweet and nice, except the tongue bite. It has to be blended. My homemade Perique worked really good on it, it totally removed the tongue bite.
The best side of Amarelinho is curing, it air cures easily to a bright yellow. And it tastes like a FC leaf. I didn't find it strong but according to GRIN its nicotine content is 4%.

istanbulin

Founding Member
It may mellow out with time, we'll see. I put it into a bag, said night night and (will) forgœt.

Inner parts of the "rope" where tobacco had more pressure and the outer parts where it got more air circulation (1[SUP]st[/SUP] image above) didn't get mold but the parts where the "yarn" overlapped (2[SUP]nd [/SUP]image) got mold.

Those guys in Brazil are making real tight ropes so I think it's about the pressure/twist and therefore humidity is less effective.

Vinegar solution is probably a nice solution.

ArizonaDave

It may mellow out with time, we'll see. I put it into a bag, said night night and (will) forgœt.

Inner parts of the "rope" where tobacco had more pressure and the outer parts where it got more air circulation (1[SUP]st[/SUP] image above) didn't get mold but the parts where the "yarn" overlapped (2[SUP]nd [/SUP]image) got mold.

Those guys in Brazil are making real tight ropes so I think it's about the pressure/twist and therefore humidity is less effective.

Vinegar solution is probably a nice solution.

This is an interesting thread. I may try this at the end of our Desert fall here. A lot of great questions/answers. Istanbulin, I wish you well in this endeavor and hope you are able to perfect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.