Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Growing Connecticut Shade

Smokin Harley

Checked my Ct Shade color curing out in the barn (Habano 2000 too but that deserves its own thread). Its curing well. and the leaf is so thin its unbelievable. I can't wait for it to be ready to use.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When you get ready to kiln the CT Shade, I would try to do it at about 98 to 110ºF, while managing the humidity at 65-ish.

Bob

Smokin Harley

why so low of a temp? I thought mold would be an issue under 117*
Actually the temp and humidity in the barn is really close to that in the peak of the day .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I kiln my shade leaf at 115F. The low temp is due to the fact that the leaf is very thin and also from Industry Papers I've read that say wrapper leaf should be fermented at lower temps than regular tobacco.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The lower temps are for shade-grown, very light-colored wrappers. You can safely kiln them at 125ºF, but they may darken, and lose their delicate flavors.

Regarding mold, you just won't see vegetative growth of mold at 125ºF, regardless of the humidity. But below about 120ºF, vegetative mold growth is highly dependent on the humidity of the growth medium (i.e. the tobacco leaf and stems).

The chart below does not include tobacco leaf as a medium, but you can take a wild guess at where it might be situated--probably between either leather and cheese or cheese and wood.

MoldGrowthChart_T4_SSBlock_1953.jpg

In that study (from 1953), we see very little vegetative mold growth at 76% RH. And this is after being held in those conditions for a year.

For kilning at lower temps, though not at higher temps, the RH must be controlled. Keep in mind that the numbers refer to the stabilized RH within the growth medium. Some parts of tobacco leaf, the stems in particular, are more hygroscopic (hold onto more water) than other parts. I believe that an ambient RH in the range of 65% or lower will be safe for low temp kilning. Also note that circulation of air (by a fan) within the kiln is imperfect, and may allow areas with less circulation to reach higher humidity at a lower temp.

Bob

Shao

Hello guys. Can you tell me? How many inches between plants in a row? Connecticut broadleaf,Connecticut shade leaf.Havana long leaf,Cuban criollo,habano 2000,bezuki.