Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

xx572xx

Hello from Eagle Creek Oregon. This is my first year growing tobacco. the seed list i purchased will be listed bellow.i started the seeds a little later than most which was the first week of April. Right now comparing my crop of about 50 to the other grow logs on the forum it looks like my crop is about 3 weeks behind the majority of the members, should i be worried? i will post photos soon. Right now i am watering the crop every 5 days and the leafs are still not wilting during the day but the soil is extremely dry so i feel i should water, should i hold of on watering longer until i see the wilt during the day? thanks and i know this isn't really just an interdiction, so if don't get much feed back here ill move the questions to the right section in a few days.

thanks

xx572xx

1 0TA108 Lizard Tail Turtlefoot
1 0TA28 SS Black Mammoth
1 0TA34 Havana 608
1 0TA61 Havana Long Red Leaf
1 0TA65 Zimmer Spanish
1 0TA79 Florida Sumatra Tobacco
1 0TA85 Habano 2000 Tobacco
1 0TA86 Cuban Criollo Tobacco

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Watering every 5 days isn't horrible, but if you don't water, the plant will develop a stronger root system as the roots will seek water.

SkyChaser is probably a lot better to comment on your growing conditions and he'll likely offer his expertise on the matter.

POGreen

Hi there and Welcome to us here at Fair Trade Tobacco !

Sounds to me like you have yourself a nice grow going on.
As far as my eye can see , you seem to be growin tobacco for cigars right ?
Don't you worry , there's still plenty of time to grow I'd say , the rest of July and August as well , think you'll be just fine for starters.
Watering , I'd say it depends on how much water u give each and every plant every 5 days or so , I give my plants water + other goodies 2 Gallons + once a week this year.
They have to work for a living sort saying , if you water them to often the roots don't have to strive that much to to reach the fluids , as a reaction to that your plants won't grow that good.That is the way I see it.
We didn't get that much rain over here this year so I'm very content with watering once a week , try your 5 days a week and give'em what u think they will drink.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It does sound like you are watering too much. Why not continue to water all of your tobacco except for 1 row. At the end of the season compare your results. If the non watered plants are about the same as your watered plants that should tell you you need not water as much next year.

xx572xx

i water a 6" radius around the plant until the water seems to start running off (no real science here). should i let them go over a week with out water if they are not wilting? i should be able to grow into September. its not the freezing i am worried about its the rain. The rain here does what it wants to and they cant ever get the days forecast right in the spring or the fall. Thanks for the quick replies.

xx572xx

yes the tobacco will be for cigars. we will see how that goes, i don't think i will get any thing this year that will be nice enough to use as a wrapper though.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Be sure to read the FAQ (link at the top of every page).

My impression with regard to watering is that if your soil drains well, then you probably can't water too much. [It's a tropical plant.] This depends on how close and dense the subsoil is to the upper layers, and the clay content of the soil.

During one hot and dry summer in SW Virginia, I did not water at all. The plants did fairly well, but not great--not as good a grow as the plants that were intermittently watered during the previous summer. The following summer saw heavy rains several times a week, for most of the summer. The plants were spectacular.

So I would say that if you seldom see pooling of standing water after torrential rains, you likely can't over-water your tobacco. The roots will be mostly shallow regardless. Tobacco does not have a true taproot. If your soil is shallow, then you want to allow the roots to go down as deeply as possible. If your soil is deep and fertile, they should do well.

JBD makes a good point. If additional watering doesn't make much of a difference for your particular situation, why go to the extra effort.

Bob

DonH

They can droop in the sun during the day but as long as they perk up and assume the prayer position at night, they don't need water. If they don't perk up when the sun goes down that's when you should water them. As little watering as possible is the best. If you live in western Oregon you probably won't ever have to water them. In the dry parts of the state it's a different story.

xx572xx

Thanks

i live in the Portland area east of the city in the forest and close to Mt. hood. i think i am going to try and spreed out the watering cycle until i am not watering them at all. the soil does have a lot of clay in it but it still seems to drain quit fast. we don't get much rain here during the three months of summer we get, out side of the three summer months who knows whats going to happen.

POGreen

Here in Sweden they used CaciumNitrate a 100 years ago to get them plants started , like a kick in the butt.....
CaciumNitrate is very high in Nitrogen.
Let a handful of it disolve in your wateringcan overnight and you'll see some plants take off............
Do you use any form of manure in your patch ?
Plants are lookin good , no doubt.
If u have a waterbarrel , pick some plain old grass an put it in there + fill the barrel with water.
Grass is the second best fertilizer overall , cause of its high levels of nitrogen , thats why cowmanure is good to use when growing anything.
The number 1 fertilizer is urea or as some of us call it , The Yellow Stuff , mixed with water at 1:10.

xx572xx

i have been watering straight from the well. i might have to try mixing grass with the water to see what it does. i do have a watering barrel and tons of grass.
thanks

POGreen

i have been watering straight from the well. i might have to try mixing grass with the water to see what it does. i do have a watering barrel and tons of grass.
thanks

Let it mix for a few days or a week and you got wonders comin right at ya or your way if you want to say it differently :)
The more grass u have the more nitrogen in the barrel and so on , if you can have a lid on the barrel , even better.

xx572xx

photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg
decided not to water for over two weeks and the plats exploded. It raid really good for 4-5 hours this morning and is suppose to tomorrow as well. hopefully its it dose not stunt there growth to much. i wish i was harvesting like other parts of the country but i guess for were i live we are doing ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.