Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Leaves issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargynko

Hi! Here are couple recent taken pics of my plants and some particular views on leaves. About 5% of my plants has this sort of "disease" or what it is, I would like to ask you guys if you could help me identify the source of those abnormalities and advise any solution. Does it affects final product??(is it safe(suitable) to smoke?)

Today I topped majority of plants..it got about 5+ ft high, I think it is good, leaves and yeld look promising, feel free to express your opinion. I saw a picture of "double plant" somewhere over here (left ground sucker) and I found the same in my field! It looked great but I broke it by accident:eek:...at least I have one plant to cure for a trial :).

PLANTS

DISEASE?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Last edited:

gargynko

I just saw topic about TEV and I am afraid I must agree :((((... I am not sure how many but I ve planted cca 215 plants and I think about 15 are affecter (I am counting at least 1 leaf). I am growing for cigarettes s oI hope it doesnt mind a much but..what can I do??

forumdotabaco

I just saw topic about TEV and I am afraid I must agree :((((... I am not sure how many but I ve planted cca 215 plants and I think about 15 are affecter (I am counting at least 1 leaf). I am growing for cigarettes s oI hope it doesnt mind a much but..what can I do??

don't panic Keep watching the answers, there are people on this forum with lots of knowledge, even professional growers, and plant scientists I'm a noob like you, better said I am a few steps behind lol I didn't transplanted mine to the field yet

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
After clicking on each image to view the enlarged versions, I have several impressions. The 4th disease image from the left appears to be Brown Spot (which is fungal). The 3rd resembles weather fleck. The others are suggestive (to me) of TMV.

The tobacco viral diseases won't affect humans, but tend to reduce the yield. Watch the brown spots; if they progress, remove the affected leaf and destroy it.

Keep in mind that curing and kilning do not destroy the viruses, though flue-curing may.

Bob

forumdotabaco

Keep in mind that curing and kilning do not destroy the viruses, though flue-curing may.

Bob

hm that means that the flue curing process, as something to do also with consumer protection.
I don't trust viruses lol they can mutate their adn

Knucklehead

Founding Member
After clicking on each image to view the enlarged versions, I have several impressions. The 4th disease image from the left appears to be Brown Spot (which is fungal). The 3rd resembles weather fleck. The others are suggestive (to me) of TMV.

The tobacco viral diseases won't affect humans, but tend to reduce the yield. Watch the brown spots; if they progress, remove the affected leaf and destroy it.

Bob

Bob made a good point. Don't just assume that each plant is affected by the same problem. Keep your mind and options open.

ArizonaDave

What did you mean by this? Is this any sort of warning or you just pointed out that affected leaves shouldnt come into contact with next year's plants??

I don't know this part of the process yet, but from my understanding Curing has to do with 120* Fahrenheit for one month. The rest you can look up on the forum under processing tobacco?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Viable TMV has been identified in some cigarettes and other tobacco products. You should just be aware that finished tobacco made from possibly TMV infected leaf may transmit the virus to other plants (tobacco, tomato, etc.). Some people suggest never smoking while working in the garden. I smoke a cigar all the time, when working in my garden.

The main precaution that I exercise is that, while working in the tobacco garden, if I suspect a plant may have TMV, I touch or handle it only after handling the healthy plants. I save it for last.

I have had a few TMV infected tobacco plants in past years. I suspect that the source of the virus was tomato transplants that I purchased. It has not been a continuing or progressive problem.

The larger the number of tobacco plants that you grow, the greater the likelihood that you may see one or more plants infected with a virus or fungus. Some varieties are more susceptible than others. With a large grow, you may want to simply remove and destroy the entire infected plant, then wash your hands and tools. For a small grow, I think it's safe to just be observant, and avoid handling such a plant prior to touching the healthy ones.

Bob

gargynko

Its about 1 and half week after topping and few of my plants are actually dying, those the most affected by diseases mentioned above. So I picked their leaves and string in my shed. A lot more plants than just a few is affected..much more than I would be comfortable with. It is not huge damage but lot of plants have noticeable spots on the leaves, but they are mature at least. I think there is not much to do for them this year, next year I will be more carefull.

But the question is: Has this disorder of mature leaves any impact on final product?? (taste, curing problems, aging problems)???

Status
Not open for further replies.