Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chemical Analysis of Latakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting. I've seen that study before. It's obtuse, but interesting. I would recommend anyone curious about the history of Latakia read the first few paragraphs of the Introduction.

The study itself simply looked at the volatile compounds that confront your nose when you open a pouch of Cyprus Latakia. They found over 500.
Key statement of the study: "More than 500 constituents were identified and the terpenoids and sesquiterpenoids present suggests that Pistacia lentiscus (Mastic) is an important contributor to the smoke curing process."

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
It might be interesting to see how Mastic Gum contributes to the taste if it's used in the process along with regular US fire curing woods.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Wikipedia said:
"Originally a liquid, mastic is sun-dried into drops of hard brittle translucent resin. When chewed, the resin softens and becomes a bright white and opaque gum. The flavor is bitter at first, but after some chewing, it releases a refreshing, slightly pine or cedar-like flavor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastic_(plant_resin)

It might work. By the pound, mastic gum is expensive (~$150).

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Rumor has it that this analysis was paid for by a chemical company that makes flavorings. They (can't remember their name) have a synthetic Perique flavor they sell so they were probably looking to do the same thing with Latakia.

Lorenzai

Rumor has it that this analysis was paid for by a chemical company that makes flavorings. They (can't remember their name) have a synthetic Perique flavor they sell so they were probably looking to do the same thing with Latakia.

So with the 500 compounds does that make Latakia more dangerous than your average tobacco? I know Latakia smells kinda ok in a bag but I absolutely hate the way it tastes. I've only tried two blends with Latakia and they are supposed to be different but they taste exactly the same like puffing on a campfire. Ick.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
No one can really say. Chemicals are everywhere. These are different than what the cigarette companies have been adding to their cigarettes. If you want to extrapolate from the 1964 Surgeon General's (S.G) report on smoking then you'd have to say they are healthy because British pipe smokers live longer than non smokers. Britain back in the '60's still had their purity laws for tobacco so most of their blends were heavy with Latakia. But also take that with a grain of salt because the 1964 S.G's report on smoking was one of the absolute worse studies I've ever seen on anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.