Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Latakia pipe blend cigar review (Nightcap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

Thought I'd share this blend as I've been experimenting adding a touch of pipe tobacco to my basic cigar blend.

For this cigar I used a pipe tobacco by Dunhill called 'Night cap'. It is a ribbon cut blend of Virginia, Latakia, Perique, and Turkish leaves. Sounded like fun. Brought it home and popped the lid open. WOW! This stinks! I had other members of my family smell it and they got mad at me. Not well received. To heck with them...let's roll one up!

Laid out two leaves of binder using Nicaraguan seco and sprinkled on the pipe blend much like pepper on a salad. Sprinkled a little in the middle also so it was laced throughout the cigar. About half a bowl total. Let it dry and lit her up about a week later.

Here's the results...

The cigar had a definite distinctive smell of freshly laid asphalt prior to lighting. This had to be the Latakia. Not too heavy but you knew it was there. Upon first light the aroma of burning rubber filled the air. Like a burnout of a funny car at the drag races. (I'm naming this cigar 'Dragster') however it did have a sweetness in there that the Virginia provided and smoothed it out a bit. As odd as this sounds it was amazingly pleasant to smoke. Very smooth, lots of smoke and excellent burning quality. No touch up needed. I think I like it!

Things were improving. The flavor of this cigar was actually quite nice and very interesting Through it's peculiar tarry-smoky exotic aroma and flavor there were definite hints of terpenoids and sesquiterpenoids dancing on my tongue. Notes of hot roof tar plumed from the end of the cigar. The distant scent of the Pistacia lentiscus was pleasantly wafting in the moist evening air. :rolleyes:
Certainly the most unique blend to date for me and I'd bet there are lots of people who would like this cigar. After all there are plenty of smokers who, amazingly enough, already like the pipe tobacco straight out of the can.

I'm curious to compare the fire cured tobacco to this blend. That's next.

(Thanks to jitterbugdude for his article on Latakia to help me identify the flavors.)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Latakia has been lovingly called the divorce maker. I must have a broken nose. I love the pouch aroma of Latakia, as well as the burn aroma. I'm not so keen on it for a cigar, but everyone has their preferences.

Nightcap is a blend that I used to smoke regularly, decades ago. Now, with many pounds of WLT Cyprian Latakia on hand, I prefer my own blends--always heavy on Latakia. It's a winter-time thing for me. I won't smoke a cigar inside the house, but I will smoke a pipe in my study. It makes the books smell like old academe.

I think you'll find that fire-cured American tobacco is in a different universe from Latakia. Fire-cured adds what I would call an "Appalachian" style to a cigar.

Bob

Bruck

Asphalt - you make me really want to try this :)
Anyway, sounds good. I haven't worked up the nerve to put pipe tobacco in my RYOs yet.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I haven't tried pipe tobacco in my cigars yet, but I do like it in my cigarettes on occasions. D&R's SJ Rimboche St. James Parrish Perique blend is really good in a cigarette.

Gdaddy

Or how about this version is a bit more apropos ...

Terpenoids will be sesquiterpenoids and sesquiterpenoids will be Terpenoids. It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world... except for Latakia. La la la latakia. Come on let's all sing along!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You haven't wrapped any Burley, Turkish or Flue Cured in your stogies? When you do you'll be admitted into the secret forum "Cigar rollers that have used pipe tobacco"

I really haven't. I do want to try some of Bigbonner's Burley Red Tips in a cigar.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You haven't wrapped any Burley, Turkish or Flue Cured in your stogies? When you do you'll be admitted into the secret forum "Cigar rollers that have used pipe tobacco"
I love a bit of burley in a cigar.

Burley has been used in cigars for filler, binder, wrapper, and any combination of them for 150 years. It's only the Caribbean converts who believe that's just wrong.

Even a small strip of burley in the filler mix will put hair on places that maybe shouldn't grow hair.

Bob

ArizonaDave

I love a bit of burley in a cigar.

Burley has been used in cigars for filler, binder, wrapper, and any combination of them for 150 years. It's only the Caribbean converts who believe that's just wrong.

Even a small strip of burley in the filler mix will put hair on places that maybe shouldn't grow hair.

Bob

Yeah, kinda like that BP med they had me on on on a while back, n n now I have hair growin' out the top of my ears!

charlie G.

Dave I might have to give this a try. I have a few tins of the old Nightcap left from 2005 among other old '05 Syrian Latakia blends.
I haven't smoked or touched since I switched to Virginian blends. I've been wondering weather to sell or trade them as I doubt they will be smoked.
I might now try adding some to a cigar blend to see if I enjoy it.

Gdaddy

Dave I might have to give this a try. I have a few tins of the old Nightcap left from 2005 among other old '05 Syrian Latakia blends.
I haven't smoked or touched since I switched to Virginian blends. I've been wondering weather to sell or trade them as I doubt they will be smoked.

It's a powerful flavor as you already know. I sprinkle some on the flat binder leaf and a little bit mixed in the bunch as the roll begins. Add as little or as much as you like. If you like Latakia I think you'll like it. Let us know how it goes!

ArizonaDave

Mad Oshea swears a pinch at the foot of the Cigar is key. Now we know what my desert friend has been smokin'. Let me know what you think when you try the Nightcap or Syrian La la la-kita~!

I do like the ol' rum and vanilla flavor for some of my Cigar blends, add that flavor with Flojo Viso and everyone swears it's blueberry! Or it could be my glue, I use Acacia Fiber (gum Arabic) with Cinnamon and Nutmeg, my wife likes that smell. It's the only time she'll come out when I'm smoking.

Chris A

I tried some Lane's Burley Without Bite in my cigar recently. Too much casing for me, kinda came across as a Swisher Sweet. Smelled great though. Anyone use Virginia? Blend?

Gdaddy

I tried some Lane's Burley Without Bite in my cigar recently. Too much casing for me, kinda came across as a Swisher Sweet. Smelled great though. Anyone use Virginia? Blend?

That's the trick with blending using just the right amount.

I'm starting some experiments with Rum to see what AZ Dave has been talking about. It's a sickness I tell ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.