Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Philippines tobacco grower

Status
Not open for further replies.

philbaco

Hi All
I have just planted a many cigar varieties probably at the wrong time of the year because this is the typhoon season but anyway could be lucky and get through without them blowing away,,cant wait till December to get them in (experiment) Climate here is 21c to 24c night and averaging around 30c daytime. It is a good climate for tobacco growing. For fermentation I just keep them hanging in the barn as the humidity and heat do the trick without any special treatment (but takes many months) have had good results in the past. I am just getting back into planting as we have moved to a new place with plenty of space. This forum is of great value and help to all persons involved in growing tobacco for home use or whatever.. its a must. One of you guys sent me many tobacco seeds a couple of years ago, I am not sure who it was but if you are reading this please let me know if it is you, just want to thank you and I owe you some Philippine tobacco seeds.
cheers Jerry.

philbaco

I thought it was you Bob,,, just wasn't sure? This is the FIRST planting of the seeds you sent over 2 years ago, they have been stuck in the fridge since. I just have not had the time and place for them until now thats why I just got them in and tuned into this forum and of course to thank you very much for the seeds and a good selection for cigar making too..
The tobacco growing regions are up north in Cagayan valley and Ilocus province, they dont grow tobacco down here in Batangas ..? although the spaniards started growng here in this province. I am not sure why they stopped growing it here but the coffee industry took off not long after the Spaniards were out then of course the tobacco was replaced by the native (Barako) coffee which is a strong cup but I love it plenty of boost!!. Also other varieties grown here including Arabica, robusta. I may be able to get some photos of tobacco = burley, virginia sp growing in Ilocus because my wife comes from the and has many relos there also. I will however take some of mine here.. most of which you sent.
Here is the list of what I have planted. 1 week ago >sdlings inground.
1/ Habano 2000
2/ Crilio 98
3/ zimmer spanish
4/ comstock spanish
5/ FL sumatra
6/ Ct broadleaf
7/ Bahia sp?
8/ Pa red
9/ Samsun sp. Black sea
10/ Dark virgina
11/ Ilocus virginia / burley sp?
12/ little dutch

I will ask family members of my wife who grow tobacco exactly what kinds they are growing. I have maybe half a kilo of seed in the fridge that was brought back for me from that region.. millions of seeds dont know why they gave me that many? I will test the viabilty of it see if it still germinates, 3 years old but should do!
I will look into photos varieties and post on the forum so members get a general idea of tobacco growing here, there is very little on the internet. They grow cigar tobacco in the Cagayan valley region which is a fair way away from Ilocus sur will check that out see if we can get info from there on the cigar varieties as in Ilocus its cigarette tobacco mainly grown.
Thank you also to all who welcomed me to this forum, I hope to share some of the Philippine tobacco growing info with you
cheers Jerry.

philbaco

Yes of course will be for all to view!! As i mentioned in my last post that the tobacco growing areas are up north of here so I am trying to relatives of my wife to send some but of course I will update my personal garden with photos. We have a typhoon coming tonight dam hope it doesn't blow too strong but my plants are still small so should be ok.

philbaco

We just got wiped out by typhoon Glenda @ 170kms winds last week and of course the tobacco crop was blown away, it was risky putting it in this time of the year anyway but thought I just might get away with it? December is really the time they plant commercially over here in the Philippines. There are few plants still standing and maybe I can just grow them for seeds?
Jeremy.

POGreen

What a shame on them plants , I feel sorry for you philbaco.
Yeah sure u could , are they the same variety ?
Fine if they are , if different var. u have to bag them plants to have a pure strain.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
We just got wiped out by typhoon Glenda @ 170kms winds last week and of course the tobacco crop was blown away, it was risky putting it in this time of the year anyway but thought I just might get away with it? December is really the time they plant commercially over here in the Philippines. There are few plants still standing and maybe I can just grow them for seeds?
Jeremy.

You can cut the stalk on the most damaged plants 6" above the ground. A sucker will form at the bottom. Allow the sucker to form a new plant, using the root system already there.

philbaco

Just thought I would post these photos I took today of the existing tobacco plants after the typhoon wiped them out. I have replanted some seedlings that I had left over to replace the losses. I was a bit late in getting the spray to some of them because they have a few holes in the leaves. The mature ones I will bag for seeds. The 2 single photos are Little Dutch and FL sumatra
Thanks to all for their concern.
Jerry.

Attachments

• San Jose Rehab 001.JPG
    San Jose Rehab 001.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 30
  • San Jose Rehab 004.JPG
    San Jose Rehab 004.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 24
  • San Jose Rehab 005.JPG
    San Jose Rehab 005.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 24
  • San Jose Rehab 006.JPG
    San Jose Rehab 006.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 25

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That was a tragic act of nature. I'm glad you are okay and were able to salvage some tobacco. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.