Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Toppin Oriental

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I have only grown Bursa and Ottoman. I topped mine the first year and got good sized leaves almost to where topped. If you are not going for leaf size then be prepared for a lot of small leaves at top of plant.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The decision to top Oriental tobaccos, or not top them depends on which Oriental, and why you are growing it.

untopped:
  • milder
  • lower nicotine
  • more aromatic
  • smaller leaf size
  • more aphids
  • more budworms
  • more work

topped:
  • stronger
  • more nicotine
  • less aromatic
  • larger leaf size
  • fewer aphids
  • fewer budworms
  • more work

Ottoman and some of the larger-leaf Orientals, like Samsun, Bursa, Bafra, Mutki, will be more productive if topped. All of the Basma types will be more typical of Turkish tobacco if left untopped.

If you planted them with very close spacing, then I would be inclined to leave them untopped.

Bob

EDIT: so, I vote "maybe"

BarG

Founding Member
Ditto what Bob said. I knew someone else with more experience and knowledge could put it into words. I grew some what I was told black sea samsun last year and I let some flower and others were topped. I noticed little difference since they were all mixed after curing.:D
I think around 20+ plants filled a 2.5 gallon bag after air driying. In my opinion for the aromatic orientals you may want to set up an area to sun cure without the full direct sun. An agribon cover perhaps.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Mine are not topped. I sun cured in bud bags last year so the small leaf size was no problem. Just stack the leaf in the bags and lay them out in the sun. They cure from the outside of the leaf to the inside. I rotate the stack inside out every couple of days. No stringing tiny leaf. Oh, yeah, I let them yellow in the shop before I put them outside. I tried putting green leaf straight to the sun but some of them had some green in them after drying. That may be normal I'm not sure.

If istanbulin doesn't show up pretty soon, send him a PM with your variety. Personally, I really like the mild aromatic flavor of a traditionally grown and cured Oriental in my cigarettes. If you want more nicotine, add Dark Air.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It didn't bother my orientals or the flue cure that I sun cured. I brought them in when it rained.

leverhead

Top your Shiraz, except for seed plants. The rest I didn't top last year, I liked the leaf better from the untopped plants.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Boboro, first photo looks like an İzmir variety (photo is quite dark). If I were you I'd leave them untopped. But, I couldn't identify the variety in the second photo. What's that ? If it's Shirazi, it's better to top them.

Boboro

The plant in the 1st image was labeled Turkish Iymire. It came from Mad O. And was mosty misspelled. The 2nd is Shamosi Dark and came from seed man. Grown from last years seed.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I got it, Turkish İzmir. So the second one is not a classic Oriental. I've never grown that but If I did I'd top it.

Status
Not open for further replies.