Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is this what I think it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

Worlds smallest Baccy plant? It is less than a ft. Tall in my unused washed out first patch.
image.jpg

forumdotabaco

well in my country rusticas are banned because they are considered invasive plants, a case like this may prove they are right

skychaser

This years seed is next years weed. :D We hoe out 100's of them every year of all kinds. We never let them grow. Some years there are seedlings coming up in April when it is still going into the low 20's at night. They're not supposed to be able to do that, but they do. lol

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you haven't weeded it very well. Poor thing. It's clearly a rustica, judging from the blossoms. It had a tough winter, a late start, and some impressive competition.

I would consider it a success story.

Bob

forumdotabaco

This years seed is next years weed. :D We hoe out 100's of them every year of all kinds. We never let them grow. Some years there are seedlings coming up in April when it is still going into the low 20's at night. They're not supposed to be able to do that, but they do. lol

so tobacco seeds/plants may survive in field from an year to the next one?
does this happen frequently?

skychaser

so tobacco seeds/plants may survive in field from an year to the next one?
does this happen frequently?

The seeds do. Plants won't live through a winter here. Not with -10 -20f temps. Hell, I barely live through winter here.

When we harvest. anything that isn't perfect looking gets clipped and dropped in the field. Anything that bloomed outside a bag gets the same. So we always have volunteers of all kinds coming up. A couple years back we dumped all the chaff from cleaning seeds in our field as compost. There were probably 3-4 wheelbarrow loads. I spread it out with the tractor and tilled it in with everything else. Big mistake. The next spring there was a swath across the field that looked like a seed bed of tobacco. Now all the chaff and screenings go to our landfill area.

Tobaccums and Rusticas won't survive in the long term though. They will die out in 2-3 generations if left on their own. They need help from us humans to survive long. Wild types like Clevelandii will though.

forumdotabaco

ok that's good to know, so even when we dont want to save the seeds form a field, we should have some care getting ride of them, to keep things orderer and controlled.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
About a week ago I noticed some of sky's Aztec coming up on the edge of my plot, it's tiny like your pic, I'll let it seed. That's some good acclimation showing up in the genes. I have a unused flower bed on the property, I can place the seeds all over it and just let it go wild.

CT Tobaccoman

Yeah, just a volunteer. It's best to get rid of them since they are weak and tobacco diseases could develop in them that might damage your real crop. The leaves aren't worth bothering with.

CT

Status
Not open for further replies.