Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mineral oil prevents suckers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Three days ago I snapped the suckers off 6 Virginia Brightleaf (VBL)and applied about 3 drops of mineral oil to where the suckers were. I then suckered the remaining 40 VBL but did not apply any mineral oil. I just checked today and the 6 treated VBL's have no sucker growth. The untreated VBL already had gigantic suckers and it's only been 3 days. Might seem time consuming but I think if you sucker once and apply mineral oil you'll probably be done for the rest of the year.

Brown Thumb

Cool, now you tell us. just got done kinda 3 Rows to go. Thanks.
BT

BarG

Founding Member
I used some on my bursa last year when I got early suckers with a meat basting syringe to apply. It worked.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So remove sucker then put the oil over the wet stump where the sucker was? And do it before the wound seals or does that not matter?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm not sure the best method to use but I tore off the sucker and then applied the mineral oil. I tried this on 6 plants. I would say it prevented about 90 % sucker re-growth. I also noticed new suckers growing where there had been none at all. Seems tobacco will do anything it can to grow these things.

CT Tobaccoman

Thanks J-bug. I've been wondering what to do about suckers when the time comes. Can't get the stuff the pros use. So, mineral oil it will be.

CT

Ishi

I have used olive oil also. If the there is a bud or small stock starting (about 1/2inch long) the oil will usually kill it. I use a pump oil can it I get too much on the leaf joint I hope it run down the stock to the next leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.