Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Curing shed, approve please

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargynko

A few days ago I built this shed and I hope you can help me with minor arrangements.

1. Space is about 474 cubic ft is this enough for yield from 215 plants?? I plan stringing tobacco on sticks. I hope I can make 3 floors.

2. As you can see the bottom of this shed is uncovered. Could it be an issue?? I am afraid that maybe if rain falls there could be high humidity or so in my shed?? What is your opinion??

Brown Thumb

I tried it in a plastic greenhouse with the floor bare and had mold problems.
Grfinny does it the same way and covers his ground with plastic and has good luck.
He just posted his plastic shed yesterday in his Gro log, check it out.
Good Luck

DGBAMA

Can both ends be opened for ventilation?
Humidity is tricky, too little, leaf dries green; too much, mould. Clean dirt floor is good. Open both ends to reduce humidity, wet the floor and close the ends to raise it.

Curing is the tricky part and is slightly different for each off us due to ambient conditions.

gargynko

Thank you guys for swift reply! Yes both ends can be opened and yes I can cover the ground by plastic, I will get it done!

I plan buying a humidity meter so I can control ventilation.

What would you say about space? Enough??

Clean dirt floor is good.

So you say not to be worried about uncovered bottom?

gargynko

I tried it in a plastic greenhouse with the floor bare and had mold problems.
Grfinny does it the same way and covers his ground with plastic and has good luck.
He just posted his plastic shed yesterday in his Gro log, check it out.
Good Luck

I just checked his grow log but I see his shed is also bare floor..so?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
During the period of time that you will be curing, do you know what your average humidity will be?

Brown Thumb

I just checked his grow log but I see his shed is also bare floor..so?
He is doing it today. Maybe he will chime in. I had asked him about the plastic floor in Flue Curing attempt log.

Last edited:

gargynko

Few days ago I topped almost every plant which had its flower open so I think I can harvest in 3 maybe 4 weeks? I really have no idea what average humidity could be, I want to prepare myself for control the humidity rather than rely on forecast. Thats the reason why I am asking you - experienced growers.

gargynko

He is doing it today. Maybe he will chime in. I had asked him about the plastic floor in Flue Curing attempt log.
But if I cover the ground by plastic I will have still uncovered some bottom area as you can see (the canvas doesnt reach the floor)... do you find it still bad or idea is just to have covered floor so dirt under the shed can not get soggy?

Get a cheap weather station it will tell you the rh.
Yeah I plan to do so but it shows just real time humidity, it can not predict or?

Brown Thumb

Your Idea is good. You can make it work. DGBAMA says it will work uncovered then it might. I had no luck tho. Mostly covered should be fine.
No one can predict the humidity You just got to go with the flow.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
1009a.jpg

http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/genuss/tabak/abb3.htm

Floor. No floor. Open. Closed. It all depends on your weather conditions during the curing period.

Bob

gargynko

As I said I can open both ends I am just afraid of rainy weather, while raining it is really humid outdoors and I am afraid I can not keep my shed in good range (70-80%). I think low humidity is not a problem because I can moisten the floor. How to handle raining and high humidity outdoors in my shed? (as situated as it is)

grgfinney

If you cover the floor you will need to keep an eye on the humidity and a bucket of water with a towel to wick up moisture and a fan to move air around.in my situation it is enclosed and I run a fan constantly

Attachments

• 20140713_141413_20140713_142027.jpg
    20140713_141413_20140713_142027.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 64

grgfinney

About the weather station it is a good thing to have I use mine in my kiln and in my curing area to keep an eye on temp and humidity, 20$ at lowes is a good investment

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If the air is too dry, but the soil retains moisture, then a bare floor will help maintain humidity. If the air is too moist, then a bare floor may increase the humidity inside the tent.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
As I said I can open both ends I am just afraid of rainy weather, while raining it is really humid outdoors and I am afraid I can not keep my shed in good range (70-80%). I think low humidity is not a problem because I can moisten the floor. How to handle raining and high humidity outdoors in my shed? (as situated as it is)

It sounds like you should cover the ground. About the only remedy for high humidity situations is heat or air movement. You may have to run an extension cord out to the shed and put a fan there in high humidity situations. You can still wet the floor or use a bucket of water with a towel suspended from it to raise the humidity when it is low. Keep in mind that we're talking average humidity over a period of days. If it gets down to 65% humidity during the day and up to 85% humidity at night, your average is 70%, which is good. If it stays over 80% day and night for a few days, mold could be an issue and you need to get some air movement by opening the ends and putting a fan there.

Rickey60

I agree with Knucks, if it is high humidity from a lot of rain then keep good air flow with fans. That will be your best option to keep mold at bay. It never hurts to have good air flow all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.