Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Best harvesting (priming) conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargynko

I havent found a good thread about appropriate conditions during harvesting.

I read a book (Tobacco without tears) and I found a column about harvesting. It says that best conditions are met in hot mid day, when leaves are thoroughly dry and sticky and leaf should be left lying by the plant a few hours. How do you do?

USHOG

I just pick the leaves when they start yellowing and hang them in the barn. If the humidity is to low I use the water hose to soak the floor and if it is to high of humidity I add fans. It is hot here and very humid most days this works great until it gets cold. As for when to harvest or what time is best I don't know but I start picking my leaves as soon as the dew has dried in the morning but that's mainly because by noon it is to hot to be working in the sun or at least it is for me

Brown Thumb

Look under curing tobacco, I posted a interesting reading link.
Has the basic how it is done in it. I always thought you pulled the leaf down but it says sideways.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I normally prime mornings or evening due to the heat here. As USHOG said it's hot and humid down South. I've also run into leaves that are harder to snap in the middle of the day because the leaf is wilted down and softer than in the morning or evening. The leaf is crisper and snaps off more easily when it's cooler and out of the sun. Brown Thumb is right, I have better luck snapping the leaf to left and right.

Status
Not open for further replies.