Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wish I had some more property to grow my plants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Hi guys,

My name is Jason and I'm fairly new to the tobacco game, the title says it all. I've got some room in the backyard for a couple plants, but not enough to roll a nice collection of cigars. If anyone has any extra leaves laying around, I'm all for buying them.

Feel free to message me anytime and we can talk.

Enjoy this beautiful weather!

Jason

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
You may have a lot of room. It don't realize it..unless you live in a apartment...LLike planting them along your driveway...along side of the house...e.t.c. Even growing them in 5 gallon buckets is a option... You just gotta think outside the box....

Jason

Actually I've been planning on using buckets! The main problem is that my yard is 95% shade. Any tobacco plants that can grow in the shade?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Is there any way to open up some sunshine? Can you post a general location in your profile? It will help us provide answers tailored to your location and situation.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
mount the buckets half way up the trees...who knows it may help keep the inscets away.... i know in some jungles the villagers live way up in the trees. to escape the bugs,

Brown Thumb

I wish I had less land. My wife wanted no neighbors and grew up on a farm so I found her 12 acres.
20 years later It is too much For her to take care of and I am tired of her bitching about mowing, weed wacking ect.
I would let it grow or let a farmer use it but she has
to groom it all.:confused:

POGreen

Make A GeurillaPatch if you don't have any property.
Preferably with a creek or somethin near by to water them plants with.
Now its very late in the season , but u might live somwhere where you have summer yearround.
I've had 35 Burleyplants in such a patch this year but wish I had more or better manure to grow them in.
Still , I'm will have some tobacco comin out of it.
Welcome to FTT by the way :)

Jason

2014-07-16 19.09.29.jpg Unfortunately I'm away from home now (college) and this was the only picture in my phone of my backyard. During the warm season(s) plants come out to everywhere but in the red (my mom's an avid gardener). Most of that space is covered in shade during the day, so what I've been doing when at home, is moving the plants into the sun whenever shade covers the area. The plants are in a wagon. They're beginning to grow 5+ leaves so I figured it was time to transplant them.

Also, brown thumb you're profile pic is hilarious

Location wise, I'm outside of Chicago

POGreen

Buckets could be a way to solve your agreeable pleasure , 5 Gal just to mention something.
Fertilize and you'll have a much better grow.

squeezyjohn

Make A GeurillaPatch if you don't have any property.

Absolutely! I don't know what the law is with guerrilla gardening in the US but it's really catching on here in the UK ... Any left-over plants I have (anything - not just tobacco), I try and find somewhere disused with enough soil to try and get them to grow. It's very satisfying and doesn't need any land - just a bit of imagination!

I haven't done it with tobacco yet - but I have grown some wicked massive pumpkins on the edge of a local meadow - and grown herbs and sunflowers beside lots of the village bus-stops so anyone can enjoy them. My rule is - if I want to keep the produce for myself - make it harder to find!!

Cheers

Squeezy

POGreen

The DownSide with a GeurillaPatch is that you might have to look over u'r shoulder + have eyes in your neck trying to avoid someone to see what you're doing.
I say that out of own experience.
But on the other hand , you can be lucky and find yourself a spot where NOWONE is around.
Its up to you.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if I find it disturbing or exuberantly hopeful to see a prospective tobacco patch mapped out on a photo of deep snow. Most tobacco will require at least 5 hours of direct sunlight to grow adequately. If it's in 5 gallon pots, rolled around on a little red wagon, the tobacco won't care, so long as it gets enough sun.

Bob

Jason

Thanks for all of the help guys. Buckets it is.

Quick follow up question. If it's a cold day (say middle of october) and my plants are still growing, can I grow them from the light in the window cell? Will that be enough?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A full size tobacco plant may weight as much as 10 pounds, plus the ~20-30 pounds of weight of the bucket and the watered soil. Many varieties reach 5' in height, plus the 14" or so for the bucket--so easily 6'. If you've got such windows and sills, and the body strength, then it would just depend on how much sun comes in the window each day.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
The ones I have delux, average 30 to 45 lbs. The ones I sent to Stag, I sent with a little cart from a mop bucket to move them. The Silk Leaf was at the 5' mark. I have had some hit the 6 to 7' mark in the past. ( Burley) Now the ones I am starting this week, I will need to watch the size. Six with a 400watt high bay light and window. six gal. buckets minus the top gallon space for water and covers. They will be full grown to set out on the walk after the last freeze.

ArizonaDave

Thanks for all of the help guys. Buckets it is.

Quick follow up question. If it's a cold day (say middle of october) and my plants are still growing, can I grow them from the light in the window cell? Will that be enough?
I guess it depends how much sun will be shining in that window? E or W? Southern exposure? You could supplement with florescent or all spectrum bulb or bulbs. I'm doing some experiments now, but we're having very long days with sunlight, and it's way to hot to put them out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.