Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

RJR & Lorillard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I wonder if that will have any effect on Bigbonner and the other farmers?

Hmm, I think you have to subscribe to WSJ to read the whole article. Is a copy and paste legal?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
With all of the selective enforcement of the existing laws, Washington seems to think it can do whatever the hell it wants to do, so while your question isn't meant to be literal...yes, I suppose the tobacco industry can change the law over night if they buy the right people.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Just a reminder for any folks that use E cigs, Lorillard purchase the Blu brand of Ecigs in 2012, with RJR in control, it's quite visible that Big Tobacco is coming in full strength for any NICOTINE related product, not just tobacco itself.

Now the FDA is talking about banning Ecigs, weird how Big Business and Big Gubment align...

JessicaNicot

blu is not part of the deal actually:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101837775

also, the industry was completely caught off guard by ecigs and have been racing to catch up. they want the government regulations because that will work in their favor over smaller operations that cant comply as effectively.

JessicaNicot

yeah, that article made it clear that it was much more complicated than probably anyone realized. I didn't know BAT had such a large stake in Reynolds.

Brown Thumb

RJR bought out cigar international a few years ago. The original owner of CIgars international only lives a few miles from me and lives a very lavish life. Even before being bought out. I have been to his house when a buddy was working on a expansion there.. He still sells cigars under a new name
It is a Walmart world.

leverhead

Big tobacco is important for the money they spent/spend for research, chasing a bigger buck for themselves and big gubment. The clues left behind in their documents have been very useful for me and I'm sure others. Sorting through some of those documents has amazed me at how low someone will go to sell an addictive commodity for the profit/tax generated. I'm not proud to be a smoker, but I do enjoy it. It's more work now, but I have some control over what doesn't go into my tobacco. My tax savings is my vote for big gubment. If big tobacco passes away, I don't think it would be a great loss.

JessicaNicot

if big tobacco goes away then i'm out of a job so let's not hope for that! the funds for my position and the money to maintain the collection come from big tobacco because they understand that the work is important. they benefit from the information provided about the accessions, but in truth they see no more info regarding the accessions than what is on GRIN (or will be up on GRIN eventually). i could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like a common occurrence for private for-profit entities to be the sole support of a public domain project and thus i am grateful for their generosity.

did anyone see the other story out of florida with the $23B award to the widow of the smoker? i don't really understand why they struck down a class action suit and allow these single party complaints to continue. it seems like its only happening in florida from the articles i read.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Many prominent scientific journal publishers are now refusing to publish any research funded by the tobacco industry. (Can you spell "Spanish Inquisition"?) It's interesting how "objective" science responds to cultural fashion.

Bob

JessicaNicot

yeah, there are even people in this department who would like to see tobacco research dropped from the university, despite our land grant mission and tobacco being one of the most profitable commodities in the state. thankfully those individuals don't have a lot of clout.

also, I don't know anyone from here working in tobacco who goes to the national agronomy society meetings (which almost all of the other commodity groups send delegates to). I think we are persona non grata there...

leverhead

if big tobacco goes away then i'm out of a job so let's not hope for that!....

I'm not hoping for it to happen, I don't think it will happen. I don't personally have a stake in their future, maybe I should rethink my position.

The big awards do get attention! It probably won't survive the appeals.

Status
Not open for further replies.