Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar rolling video for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigar

Fillers

Short Filler

The majority of a cigar is made up of fillers, wrapped-up bunches of leaves inside the wrapper. Fillers of various strengths are usually blended to produce desired cigar flavors. In the cigar industry this is referred to as a "blend". Many cigar manufacturers pride themselves in constructing the perfect blend(s) that will give the smoker the most enjoyment. The more oils present in the tobacco leaf, the stronger (less dry) the filler. Types range from the minimally flavored Volado taken from the bottom of the plant, through the light-flavored Seco (dry) taken from the middle of the plant, to the strong Ligero from the upper leaves exposed to the most sunlight. Fatter cigars of larger gauge hold more filler, with greater potential to provide a full body and complex flavor. However, this effect can be diminished because of the generally poorer burn characteristics of thicker cigars (greater than 50 ring gauge), and the fact that these cigars burn cooler. This can prevent the full spectrum of flavors from being easily detectable. When used, Ligero is always folded into the middle of the filler because it burns slowly.

Fillers can be either long or short; long filler uses whole leaves and is of a better quality, while short filler, also called "mixed", uses chopped leaves, stems, and other bits. Recently some manufacturers have created what they term "medium filler" cigars. They use larger pieces of leaf than short filler without stems, and are of better quality than short filler cigars. Short filler cigars are easy to identify when smoked since they often burn hotter and tend to release bits of leaf into the smoker's mouth. Long filled cigars of high quality should burn evenly and consistently. Also available is a filler called "sandwich" (sometimes "Cuban sandwich") which is a cigar made by rolling short leaf inside long outer leaf. If a cigar is completely constructed (filler, binder and wrapper) of tobacco from only one country, it is referred to in the cigar industry as a "puro" which in Spanish means "pure."

Gdaddy

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Smokin Harley

absolutely amazing. I am very impressed by your patience, explanation and use of the paper towel as a stand in tobacco leaf ,makes perfect sense. Thank you very much

I agree totally with that! do have one question oh..first I saw the regular "bunch" then the "book" now your cross-between them{which i like alot] but what is the "cuba sandwich"I have heard of,never seen? again not tke-away from your great method of rolling. I just bought my first tobacco from WLT yesterday and cant wait to try out my real rolling of cigars!! evern know i only have a old cutting board and pizza cutter thats all..but im just getting started here will have to save-up money and buy other stuff like mold etc...

cigar

Get a bag and put all your scraps in it. Then you can roll a 'Cuban sandwich' using a binder leaf like MarcL shows. Makes a good smoke.

These molds cost under $2 for the PVC at Home Depot and they work quite good...

PVC.jpg

Shundahai

That's just slicker than a peeled snake. Great basic tutorial. I gave it a try last night and it worked perfectly. Can't wait for my WLT order to arrive!

TravisNTexas

Simply a fantastic video. I have been very dissapointed trying to find information on how to get started. Until I found FTT and then this video! Thank you very much sir!

Gdaddy

TravisNTexas

That series of 3 beginner videos is simply the best introduction to the basic mechanics of rolling cigars that I have found anywhere. I really appreciate the time you put into creating those! Well done Gdaddy!

waikikigun

I don't know about you but I consider Gdaddy the Godfather of rolling vids. ;)

That series of 3 beginner videos is simply the best introduction to the basic mechanics of rolling cigars that I have found anywhere. I really appreciate the time you put into creating those! Well done Gdaddy!

TravisNTexas

Gdaddy,

Where did those single cigar molds come from that you used in the second video? I've searched looked just about everywhere and can't find anything like them.

Tony_Rictus

Those are amazing videos! I cant wait to try out these techniques. Where did you get those single molds?

kullas

I got 2 of them and I love them. Thanks Gdaddy for the info.
They made my sticks go from smokeable to something I am proud to show my friends.

Gdaddy

I got 2 of them and I love them. Thanks Gdaddy for the info.
They made my sticks go from smokeable to something I am proud to show my friends.

Glad to hear all went well. John is a nice guy and the molds are very high quality. They make all the difference in the appearance.

Next you should try making the box press.

kullas

I may try it I do have a cigar box filled I could squeeze another on the side and put a spacer plate on top and have a true box press :)

CaryNC

Great videos - I did not have much interest in cigars when I woke up this morning, but now I just have to give it a go.

There are a number of leaves in my shed that I had removed so far for one reason or another and should be good for practice.

Guess what I'm going to be doing tomorrow afternoon! :)

MarcL

Great videos - I did not have much interest in cigars when I woke up this morning, but now I just have to give it a go.

There are a number of leaves in my shed that I had removed so far for one reason or another and should be good for practice.

I'm glad to hear your gong to give it a go. I hope your interest grows and it sticks.

Gdaddy

Let us know how it goes!

Remember, if it doesn't come out right unroll it and do it over so you can learn. Failure is part of the process so stick with it until you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.