Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar rolling test. Try this before you buy anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

Stuff comes too crunkled up. Won't do it.

Not sure of the definition of what "crunkled up" means. We are talking about volado, seco and viso ?

Your leaves should not be so brittle that they can't bend without breaking. A small amount of flexibility is required. Most of my tobacco comes in the proper case without doing anything.

However, if the leaves are too dry I usually just spritz a little distilled water on the inside of the bag (not directly on the leaves) This raises the RH inside the bag and in a few days the tobacco should be perfect ready to roll into little straws.

webmost

I'll take a new seco leaf out of a sealed bag and take a pic. It is flexible. But not enough to roll a soda straw.

moscca

My filler is way to wet here in Honduras. I bought some airtight boxes and am adding slowly bags of silica gel. I have also a hygrometer in the box.
I placed 4 bags of beads of 5 gram inside. Humidity dropped till 44 and raised back to 55 now where it apparently stays. Will leave it there a few days more, check the case of the leaves and add more in necessary.
I'm going to to the same thing with my binder leaves.
So in a while my leaves will be in the right case for starting rolling and every time I can start straight rolling without having to prepare my leaves.

Jan.

Gdaddy

I'll take a new seco leaf out of a sealed bag and take a pic. It is flexible. But not enough to roll a soda straw.

What happens when you roll a 'Large' size soda straw? If it cracks then it's too dry.

The tobacco I get from WLT is perfect and ready to roll right from the bag and I roll straws. Will have a new video for you by tomorrow to demonstrate.

Desertpipe

Enjoyed the video, and here in the High Desert, I find that I am constantly having to rehydrate the whole leaf in order to work with it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Enjoyed the video, and here in the High Desert, I find that I am constantly having to rehydrate the whole leaf in order to work with it.

You could consider these Humidipaks with two way technology. Desiccant and Humidifiers only work one way, they either draw moisture out or put moisture in. Humidipaks work two ways, either putting moisture in or taking it away to keep the tobacco at 62% humidity. There is an article about it on www.ryomagazine.com here. Look for "Preserving Tobacco Perfection": http://www.ryomagazine.com/tobacco.htm

Link to the company that sells them, Boveda: http://www.bovedainc.com/

Gdaddy

@ Gdaddy : I saw on various rolling movies that the foot of the cigar should always be the the top of the leaf so you smoke always from the top of the leave down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0zFbixOQHM

What do you think of that ?

Jan.

Excellent point!

I agree and will explain this in the next bunching video. Notice the paper towel video has the tips of both leaves pointing upward.

Notice in your video that the roller doesn't remove the stems. Also how the top and bottom of the bunch gets ripped off and the remains get stuffed in the cigar. I won't be doing either of those things.

Gdaddy

I disagree. The tube-rolling flexibility that you describe is not low case, but medium case.

Bob

The moisture level of the tobacco from Don is usually perfect right out of the bag. Dry but with flexibility just above the point of cracking. What case is that considered?

The next video will show how tight those tubes should be rolled. In reality the actual size of the tubes is slightly larger than an actual soda straw but the analogy of a soda straw is easy to understand.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Do you roll from the head to the foot or from the foot to the head? By rolling from the foot to the head, the cigar will not unroll while the cigar is clenched in the mouth or held by the head if you use no glue. I don't always use glue.

Gdaddy

Do you roll from the head to the foot or from the foot to the head? By rolling from the foot to the head, the cigar will not unroll while the cigar is clenched in the mouth or held by the head if you use no glue. I don't always use glue.

The wrapper leaf gets placed on the cutting board with the tip pointing down or closest to you. The foot end of the bunch then gets placed on the tip end of the wrapper leaf and rolls foot up to the head then naturally twists into a finished pig tail.

I also sometimes roll with no glue and sometimes smoke the cigar with no wrapper, just binder.

CT Tobaccoman

I actually found this video helpful. I hadn't thought about positioning the binder (and wrapper) so that the veins point a certain way. I have a lot of short filler, mostly CT broadleaf, so I can't do entubado. I sort of put the short fill in the middle and wrap some long fill and binder around it. Usually a double binder. Got some Cameroon filler that has some good binder leaves, some Dominican volando, and the 3 Conn USA types, plus I think adding some fire cured and ordinary burley helps the combustion--and tastes good too.

But I am a rank beginner. Like, my second day on a new job.

Gdaddy

I actually found this video helpful. I hadn't thought about positioning the binder (and wrapper) so that the veins point a certain way. I have a lot of short filler, mostly CT broadleaf, so I can't do entubado. I sort of put the short fill in the middle and wrap some long fill and binder around it. Usually a double binder. Got some Cameroon filler that has some good binder leaves, some Dominican volando, and the 3 Conn USA types, plus I think adding some fire cured and ordinary burley helps the combustion--and tastes good too.

But I am a rank beginner. Like, my second day on a new job.

Hey if it works then do it! Your cigars sound pretty darn good. I like the burley and fire cured idea.

Should have another video out tomorrow on bunching using real tobacco. Keep an eye out because there's some details that aren't talked about much and you should find it interesting as well.

webmost

Here's what I meant by crunkled:

crunkled.jpg

That's criollo 98 seco fresh out of a newly opened bag. The dom seco I had before was even crunklier. When I tried to roll a soda straw with that, it cracked on a couple of the more crinkier crinks. You see where the near edge is folded up on the rest? That typically would be a place it cracks too. I am not inclined to dampen filler any more than what it comes from WLT cause I don't like it fermenting again. Trying to get my whole process less damp; binder and wrapper and all.

I will try how tight a tube I can get on my next batch.

CT Tobaccoman

I can't imagine any reason for this foot to head business except that it is easier to roll that way. Not removing stems and sticking ripped off pieces inside is what leads to blockages and hard draw, and harshness and uneven burn. Seems like some cheaper cigars are made that way. Since I put short fill in the middle of the cigar, I have to use the "book" method. As long as I don't roll it too tight they draw fine, so I don't try to make thick or long cigars.

But, I really don't know what I am talking about.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.