Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

FT's 2014 Grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenthunderbolt

Well I'm going to try something a bit mad and start my grow now.
Reason being I saw a self seeded baccy seedling with leaves 3-4 inches long growing in a sheltered spot outside.
Days averaging about 12-16 Celsius and nights anywhere from 2-8 C at the moment. But no real frost for about the last 6 weeks or so.

Going to seed in trays in my green house to germinate, then prick out and grow up some seedlings to 6 inches or so before planting outside in a 6-8 weeks time or so.

Planted seed today:
-Yellow twist bud (Burley - prime for cigs or stalk cure for cigars)
-Turkish Ismar (yay! finally an oriental!)
- Big Gem (virginia - air cure for cigs or kiln for cigar wrapper)
- Swarr (cigar filler)
- Havana 263 (Cigar binder [seed growout - only 20-30 seeds])
- GC-2 (cigar wrapper)
- Glessnor (all round cigar tobacco)
- Keller (maryland - for cavendish)

Will also plant:

- Magnolia (Grew so damn well for me i'd grow it again - Great wrapper - grown in full sun but still beautiful strong thin translucent leaf.
- Anything else that members want to send me! ;) Particularly after more Orientals/Turkish and cigar varieties. :eek:

Most(?) interestingly, I had a Dutch Ohio (90% sure - long thin pointy leaves) plant survive three killer frosts (6-8 weeks back) that nuked everything else in the garden.
It's an interesting puppy - tons of long, thin, fairly smooth and fairly fine leaves, not very wide, all very sticky (vitamin N? :)) easy to colour cure and colored up a rustish red/brown dashboard curing pretty easily.
It's suckering like mad at the moment, despite the cold weather so might be worth developing as a cold climate variety. I'll reduce it to a single stem and de-bud it for some more leaf and seed this year.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
YOU SCARED THE BEJESUS out of Me FTB!. I thought You were refering to My starts here in NM USA. till I seen where You are. MAD? not. get it on!!! Watch the clip sections of last grow blogs starts. LOL NOW GET MAD- Nice pick on seed----------

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm looking forward to the Grow Blogs from you NZ guys again. They go well with football and deer season over here after our tobacco season is over. Best of luck with your grow. I think you'll really like that Swarr filler. Talk with some of the other NZ members, I sent several varieties over there last year for grow outs and to be shared around the island. I'll send some more after this season, but I'm not sure it they'll make it in time for this years grow. I get the difference in seasons confused between there and here. I'll do the best I can though.

Frozenthunderbolt

Got pin head sized seedlings from most of my varieties come up so far!
Fingers crossed they keep going - they're under glass and have survived one minor frost so far; beds prepared and some tire gardens set up for seed collection.

Frozenthunderbolt

Got pin head sized seedlings from most of my varieties come up so far!
Fingers crossed they keep going - they're under glass and have survived one minor frost so far; beds prepared and some tire gardens set up for seed collection.

Killed them. Damned if I know how!

Re started under mini-greenhouses with fingers crossed!

squeezyjohn

Careful under the glass at that stage! I was protecting mine from the frosts in a cold-frame in our spring this year and one sunny day fried the lot of them. Very frustrating!

Best of luck with your grow - sowing when you did would be like us planting at the end of January ... but at least you have plenty of time to get a second sowing done in good time!

POGreen

This might be a dumb/stupid question , is there no chance you could start your seed's indoors by a window or use fluorescent T8 bulbs ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have had tiny tobacco plants (in 3-1/2" pots) that were growing exclusively indoors, exposed to some direct sun each day through a window produce several seed pods. It works.

Bob

Frozenthunderbolt

My Re-seed has worked!
The mini-glass houses have them going with a vengeance - all have at least some sprouts, most have many!
Swarr looks like the least vigorous thus far, YTB and Turkish Izmir the most.
Fingers crossed and excited again once more ;)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The Swarr is a beautiful plant. For me it was fairly low growing, 5 ft., with many large closely spaced leaves. Bob kilned some and gave it two thumbs up as a filler.

Frozenthunderbolt

The Swarr is a beautiful plant. For me it was fairly low growing, 5 ft., with many large closely spaced leaves. Bob kilned some and gave it two thumbs up as a filler.

Good to know thanks Knucks, I've had a few more babies come through - so i'll be careful to nurse them through to produce and also to get some more seed, thought it is only the havana that I'm growing that I used all the seeds of and is totally critical to get fresh seed from.

Status
Not open for further replies.